Why can't I list Golly badges, yet golly books records figures etc are allowed.

Just wondering why Ebay do not allow the listing of Golly badges ( From Robertson s jam / Golden Shread ).

Yet they allow books, records & figurines of the same name which also clearly show pictures of the said Golly's.

I do understand the race hatred link etc & I do not condone it in any way shape or form.

But it does seem odd they allow similar items that clearly show the same image but not others.

Can anyone explain why this is?

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Any books featuring the word 'Golly' in the title or figures are also reportable.

eBay banned these items way back in 2015.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

@*vyolla* wrote:

Any books featuring the word 'Golly' in the title or figures are also reportable.

No - when they started the ban in 2015 books were exempt, and as far as I can make out they still are:

The following items may be listed:

• Media such as historical photos, magazines, books and art, provided that such material doesn't perpetuate or glorify violence, intolerance or racial stereotyping

Offensive materials policy | eBay

When I used to sell children's books as a business on here I had the occasional golly book, and the listings all stayed. Given that I posted on the boards under that ID and had a few haters at the time, I'm pretty sure they would have been reported!

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

@kempseykate wrote:

@*vyolla* wrote:

No - when they started the ban in 2015 books were exempt, and as far as I can make out they still are:

The following items may be listed:

• Media such as historical photos, magazines, books and art, provided that such material doesn't perpetuate or glorify violence, intolerance or racial stereotyping

Offensive materials policy | eBay

When I used to sell children's books as a business on here I had the occasional golly book, and the listings all stayed. Given that I posted on the boards under that ID and had a few haters at the time, I'm pretty sure they would have been reported!

I'm failing to see how 'racial stereotyping' doesn't cover books as well, a book featuring a Golly is both offensive to a person of colour and features racial sterotyping.

I don't believe that Golly books were excluded, I just believe that they weren't picked up by eBay. 

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

maybe slightly off the point here but i had a golly doll back in the day and i loved it so much!  None of us thought of it as anything but a toy.  Of course i did live in the countryside and we had no experience of any racial bigotary.  Also collected the badges (when we could afford the good stuff!).   

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

@*vyolla* wrote:

I don't believe that Golly books were excluded, I just believe that they weren't picked up by eBay. 

I can assure you, they were excluded at the time. The wording at the time stated that books were excluded - this was the announcement when gollies were first banned. As a book seller at the time, I remember it clearly. Of course there have been many changes to policies since then.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

I never saw the wording that stated that books were excluded, if that were the case I'm really surprised that it wasn't picked up on by the media at the time, it's an odd exclusion (I'm not disputing your recollection as you clearly saw it and I just didn't).

However, the current policy and wording you linked to makes it clear that they can no longer be listed. 

I see that the Guardian ran a piece this time last year asking eBay about this, and it appears that eBay will remove the listings (which they say are against their policy) if a national newspaper calls them out about policing their policy:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/12/online-sellers-take-down-golliwog-listings

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Thank you for the replies.

So pretty much what everyone seems to be saying is that ALL products of this criteria are banned, but some just get though the cracks.

That's helpful, as I did think it odd as to why 1 product would be considered offensive & yet another 1 not.

Obviously the main reason I asked initially, was that I obtained a larger collection of pin badges & there were quite a few of this type, which I was going to list.

Luckily I had the forethought to check prior to listing as my brain had something stored about such things & obvioulsy saved myself any hassle or worse still an ebay policy breach  or ban.

Guess they will now sit in a draw gathing dust, from a forgotten era.

Or maybe it time find an alternative selling option & donate the funds to a related anti racial charity.

So again thank you.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

I just reported the sale of a book called 'The little black sambo'

(166645622033).

According to eBay's customer service team there's nothing wrong with it. It's nice to see their diversity training is going well! There are no words.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: