So many scammers

OK so lately the amount of scammers have just been crazy. Im taking photos every step of the way before posting them.

1st scam attempt was a cracker !!  So I sell a £1045 phone. Buyer had good feedback. I pack it up and get it ready to post next day. 5 minutes after the sale of the phone a brand new account buyer buys a gaming phone holder for £50. Again I pack it up to send the next day. I take pictures of everything especially the package with address label attached. 

3 days later the phone guy tells me ive sent him the wrong item. Ive sent him the gaming phone holder. Im angry with myself for making a stupid mistake. So I look back at my pictures. Phone was sent in a RED bag and gaming phone holder was sent in a PINK bag. Hes taken a picture of an opened red bag with his address on it and the gaming phone holder along side it.

So I goto royal mail and look at the delivery pictures. BOTH items were sent to the correct addresses MEANING the phone guy bought both items delivered to different addresses and said they got mixed up.

How many times is this being done on ebay ??

I contacted ebay and it was so difficult getting the foreign chat people to understand. Finally got through to a UK person and got it sorted. He was banned later that day BUT the new account he opened was still allowed to run !!!

A week later the scumbag has now opened a dispute with his bank stating he never made the purchase !!

Ebay have said he wont get refunded.

Message 1 of 30
See Most Recent
29 REPLIES 29

Re: So many scammers

@wyntersemporium wrote:

I'm getting sick of private sellers. Spotted one in particular in the costume jewellery section, 2000 items fir sale, I have 999 and I'm a business. 

time fir eBay to crack down on so called business sellers masquerading as private sellers

2000 items is massive and personally I don't understand how privates are allowed to sell that much. I'm a private, have a maximum allowance (on my account) of 500 items, and I've never even got close to listing 100 items - let alone 2000.

Still, it doesn't matter whether the person is a private seller or a business seller - the statement remains that someone is trying to scam an eBay seller by using multiple accounts to claim INR/INAD. This shouldn't be allowed.

Message 21 of 30
See Most Recent

@nelson1805 wrote:

I want to buy a phone but I'm wary of being sent an empty box, with no phone inside, by the seller. Is there a system whereby an "escrow" process can be used (legal arrangement in which a third party temporarily holds money or property until a particular condition has been met – such as the fulfillment of a purchase agreement.)

Any ideas?

If I was buying a phone I'd be going to my local brick and mortar phone repair shop (or similar). I bought my parents' new (used) phones that way before and had no issues.

Message 22 of 30
See Most Recent

I have just sold a Ipone 15 pro max 1tb, new and sealed on the 23/04/2024, delivered the next day, 24/04/2024 at 11;48 am, by Royal Mail special delivery into his hands, and 3 full days later on the 27/04/2024, I got a message from the buyer saying I have just opened the box and the phone is damaged and looks like it has been used and wanted to return it and a full refund, I said no, today he has sent another message saying more things wrong with the phone and its a fake and he wants e-bay to refund his £1150.00 under buyers guarentee, this has got a scam written all over it, I refuse to accept a return that has been delivered but not opened till 3 days later, anything could have happened in those 3 days by the buyer, lets face it if you pay that kind of money out, who in their right mind would leave it 3 full days to check it?, I will not be giving a refund to scammers, if anybody has had this kind of dealings in the past or now, let e-bay know, if you are selling or have sold a phone and you was offered a buy it now price and you get strange requsts to delete your listing after it was brought, let e-bay know who it is, even if you wisly decided not to sell to that person. these people needs to be stopped.

Message 23 of 30
See Most Recent

@blueberrylollipop wrote:

I have just sold a Ipone 15 pro max 1tb, new and sealed on the 23/04/2024, delivered the next day, 24/04/2024 at 11;48 am, by Royal Mail special delivery into his hands, and 3 full days later on the 27/04/2024, I got a message from the buyer saying I have just opened the box and the phone is damaged and looks like it has been used and wanted to return it and a full refund, I said no, today he has sent another message saying more things wrong with the phone and its a fake and he wants Iphonese-bay to refund his £1150.00 under buyers guarentee, this has got a scam written all over it, I refuse to accept a return that has been delivered but not opened till 3 days later, anything could have happened in those 3 days by the buyer, lets face it if you pay that kind of money out, who in their right mind would leave it 3 full days to check it?, I will not be giving a refund to scammers, if anybody has had this kind of dealings in the past or now, let e-bay know, if you are selling or have sold a phone and you was offered a buy it now price and you get strange requsts to delete your listing after it was brought, let e-bay know who it is, even if you wisly decided not to sell to that person. these people needs to be stopped.

iPhones are scam magnets on eBay.

If your buyer opens a not as discribed case you will have to accept the return or risk eBay refunding the buyer and telling them to keep your item.

Plus they could do a switch send something else back but eBay would still refund them.

Message 24 of 30
See Most Recent

That's what they want to do, switch the phone keep the original phone and get their money back from e-bay, lets hope e-bay has the sense to see through all the lies that has been said through messages to me, if e-bay do refunds this sammer, they will not get a penny from me, thank you.

Message 25 of 30
See Most Recent

That's what they want to do, switch the phone keep the original phone and get their money back from e-bay, lets hope e-bay has the sense to see through all the lies that has been said through messages to me, if e-bay do refunds this sammer, they will not get a penny from me, thank you.

Post 26 on this thread tells you exactly what to do if the buyer sends back a different item.

The main thing is to file a report with action fraud and get reference number from them.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Seller-Central/Help-with-possible-scam/td-p/7564326 

Message 26 of 30
See Most Recent

You do need to send a return label if eBay hasn't done so already on your behalf; the "request" will tell you whether eBay has done so or not. If the buyer doesn't receive a return label the chances are eBay will issue a full refund and tell them they can keep the item (it's an automated system). Just to re-post the instructions I provided in the other thread:

When you receive the item back you have three days to issue a refund or report a problem; the clock starts ticking once the return tracking shows the item has been delivered (or delivery has been attempted).

You can't do anything until the return tracking shows the item has been returned or return delivery has been attempted. If the buyer sends back a different item or the return tracking indicates delivery but you receive nothing here is what you need to do in order:

1. File a report with Action Fraud. They're unlikely to actually do anything but they should provide you with a reference number and might provide you with a report.
  2. At the bottom of the eBay case there should be a link that says "Report a problem" or something very similar. This is not the link that says "Ask us to step in" - don't click that one! If the "Report a problem" link isn't there please let us know; if it is there click on it.
  3. The above link should close the return case and open a new one. You need to select "Returned a different item" (or the nearest equivalent) as the reason and - crucially - include the reference number you received from Action Fraud in your report and Action Fraud's report if they gave you one. 
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 27 of 30
See Most Recent

Thanks for that, have sent the buyer the returns label, will do the rest when I recieve the item back, thank you.

Message 28 of 30
See Most Recent

Lucky you. The same thing happened to me, buyer made a false statement saying that the item didn't match the description. Ebay support didn't even bother to go through the case and issued a refund to the buyer without allowing me to get my item back.  Not to mention that the refund they issued costed me more than the actual funds I was given ( so they obviously took the commissions twice). What a scam

Message 29 of 30
See Most Recent

if eBay have to step in and force a refund a seller might not get the item back, they lose the selling fees and get a defect on their account.

Message 30 of 30
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: