Seller returning delicate item (not defective) should I accept?

I recently sold an apple display monitor worth over £1400. The buyer intially messaged me saying it was a gift for a friend and "he happen to have a windows system and after connecting this display he keeps on getting flicker screen and he’s not able to use it as intended". The display is made by apple and is not compatible with a windows machine.  I replied and said I do not accept returns (as listed), but did some research and sent a link to a  cable adapter which could be a solution. 

The buyer has now opened a return as 'item defective' stating "none of the usb ports are working" but the item has no usb ports. So I feel I have a strong case not to accept the return. 

To post the item with insurance it costs over £70 so I obviously I feel it's unfair for me to accept the return and pay this. It's also a delicate item and has to be really carefully packaged, so I'm concerned about this too.  I sent the item with all of the original packaging and it was like new. 

If anyone can advise the next best steps I'd be really grateful. Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

There is nothing you can do but accept the return and refund. if you refuse, eBay will just refund them and tell them to keep it 

I wonder if you will get the same unit back that you sent the buyer....

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

When a buyer opens a return request for not as described you have no real choice but to accept ,supply a prepaid returns label and refund in full upon return.That way you get your fee's back and no defect.You can report buyer for misuse of the MBG.

If you decline such a request a buyer can ask Ebay to step in on day 4 and Ebay will force the refund from your bank account ,give you a defect ,keep the fee's and may well tell buyer no need to return.

The buyer can also request a chargeback through their bank if the Ebay claim failed.

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Thanks for the helpful reply everyone. It seems I don't have much choice!

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

As mentioned, you need to send a prepaid return label. You are dealing with an automated system that ultimately results in the buyer receiving a full refund unless you report any issue you encounter correctly.

My gut feeling is the buyer has absolutely no intention of sending your monitor back. Did you record the serial number of the monitor you sent?

Keep an eye on the return tracking. If you receive a different item back or the return tracking indicates a delivery that never happened come back here for instructions on what to do next. I'd also advise you not to contact eBay's customer service reps as they will likely misunderstand the situation and refund the buyer anyway.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

`The buyer intially messaged me saying it was a gift for a friend and "he happen to have a windows system and after connecting this display he keeps on getting flicker screen and he’s not able to use it as intended".

With respect, did he message the above before he purchased it, because if you knew it wouldn`t work with windows, why send it?

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Good Morning Jim

You have no choice in the matter. You have to accept a return and refund. Jim when you come to resell it then for heaven's sake make it collection only with cash payable on collection.  Why send delicate and breakable items through the post?

Additionally as soon as he said that he was buying it for a friend then that should have rung alarm bells. It would with me.

Good luck

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

Jim when you come to resell it then for heaven's sake make it collection only with cash payable on collection. Why send delicate and breakable items through the post?

What happens if the buyer wants a refund 3 weeks later? Will eBay intervene on a cash transaction?

Shocking situation for the seller here. Outrageous. What happens if the money is spent as well and his bank won't honour eBay's direct debit demand? Dread to think.

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

I also have a bad feeling about this and suspect that the item you receive back is not going to be the item you sent out, too many red flags here.

Does your buyer mean the ports in the back of the screen? I bet he's trying to jam some cable in there.

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

No, eBay do not offer cover for cash payments so the seller is completely safe

Who buys £1400 "presents" for friends? Seems very unlikely that this is true

I don't think OP will get their monitor back, they will get a broken one, or a brick in a box

If the bank doesn't honour the refund then debt collectors get called in 

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Yes alarm bells are ringing here, I do wish you luck though I would have my heart in my mouth sending an item of that value that is also delicate

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent