Seller offers weirdness

So The answer to this is probably obvious but in the past couple of weeks I've been getting messages from people asking for my best seller offer, best offer is on for most of my items so why aren't these people just making offers?....I don't think I've had any offers for days but lots of these messages.

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Seller offers weirdness

This is what i think.

Yes if there is best offer on a listing i may ask the seller if they have in mind a  price they would be happy to sell the item for.    This way i can see if what they are expecting is realistic for the item and within my budget.     I prefer to do it this way to avoid wasting both of our time.    I have had some really silly offers in the past when i list with best offer 😞

Saying the above i do only tend to ask on more expensive items....prob over £100

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Seller offers weirdness

Might be because of the recently introduced "pre approved payment" when making offers and the problems it has caused.

If you reply with a price the buyers next question may be asking you to adjust the price to a straight buy it now.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Seller offers weirdness

Good Morning Panzer

It could be that they are terrified of making an offer in excess of what you have in mind, hence they want you to go first.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Seller offers weirdness

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

In a negotation it generally seems best to get the other party to name a price first. The other party migh name a price better for you than you were thinking to offer.

Personally I have generally found "best offer" to be a waste of time / a magnet for timewasters on eBay, but if it works well for some sellers then be prepared to send and receive offers.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Seller offers weirdness

Have you got automatic payments aka requiring buyers to provide a payment method before making an offer turned on in your buyer management page?

That could be a reason as many buyers (including me) don't like it.

eBay turned it on for a lot of sellers without their knowledge.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: