Returns policy on collection only item

I collected a large item for £200 and paid via eBay. At home a closer inspection revealed a lot of black mould, the seller has agreed a refund but we are disputing who pays for the return costs . I spent £ 100 on hiring a van to collect it. If I spend another hundred returning it I will have spent a total of £400 and only receive £200 refund, therefore £200 out of pocket and no item to show for it. I am prepared to go halves on the collection/return costs meaning I paid for collection, she pays for return but I would like to know who is actually liable so I can put that in my answer to her.

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

With a not as described return (even for a collection item) your seller needs to arrange and pay for it. 

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

catshome1
Conversationalist

Have you opened a returns case through eBay, for item not as described?  If not, you need to do that now.  

You are going to be £100 out of pocket anyway, as there is no mechanism through eBay to refund you the cost of hiring the van to collect the item yourself.  No reason why you should have to pay even half of the return cost.

We don't know what the item is, but is it something that could be resolved with a partial refund from the seller to cover the cost of professional cleaning?

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

I was wondering why you never noticed the black mould when you inspected it before you took it away?

Unless the van hire came with a man who actually collected the item?

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

i wonder what the actualy ebay policy is ....have no clue and like to learn it

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

The policies are all set out on the site. 

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Did you actually collect it yourself or send a courier ?

That makes a considerable difference!    @egabi_2009 

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

nothing to dispute about!  as it was listed as collection only. you chose to send courier not seller.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

This is so confusing and utter *bleep* from ebay. I had similar issue for a large electronic item that was collection only buyer came to collect I insist he checks throughly he didnt I still turned the appliance on and off and helped to even load it in is van.

2 days later I receive a message that item is defective and they will open a return and ebay giving the same option as acept a return, offer partial refund or send full refund.

If I accept a return who pays for return shiping/arrange collection?

The reason it was listed for collection only was it was a very large item not suitable to be shipped.

Ebay's official site state that returns for collection only items should be treated the same way as postage items-implying seller has to arrange collection 

or pay postage for the item to be returned to them

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent