Private seller and buyer trying to understand public/private visibility of purchase and sale items

Hi,

As a long-time buyer and occasional seller using just one Ebay account login, I was surprised to only notice the following today, assuming this is how things have worked for years.  I can see all previous seller account names under the feedback of an Ebay member to whom I recently sold an item without issue.  I then checked several other historical sales and found the the same, i.e. I could see the buyers' sellers' full Ebay account names.  I contacted Ebay chat support to query this and received quite a confusing reply that has left me unclear on what exactly I should expect to see when viewing feedback for buyers and sellers shown under my account.   

What I would like to understand is as I private buyer and occasional seller can I hide my buyer and seller account names while leaving everything else visible?  Or, as the Ebay agent advised, create an account for buying on which I hide everything (or does it allow a more granular setting?) and have my existing account used for selling only?  Presumably I can do the opposite if I wish:  have my existing account for buying only and create a new one for selling only?  However, how would doing this affect my historical feedback?  Presumably I cannot separate buying feedback from selling feedback so that I do not have to start all over agian with the new account?  

According to the Ebay agent, it would appear that it matters not whether you are a private or business seller, your Ebay account automatically becomes publicly viewable once you begin using it to sell items.  Is this correct?

Thanks for any advice provided. 

Message 1 of 2
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Private seller and buyer trying to understand public/private visibility of purchase and sale items

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

If you look at somebody's feedback profile you can see sellers eBay IDs but not buyers (unless you're logged into your own account and looking at your own feedback profile). 

There isn't a security issue here, I wouldn't worry about it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
See Most Recent
1 REPLY 1

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

If you look at somebody's feedback profile you can see sellers eBay IDs but not buyers (unless you're logged into your own account and looking at your own feedback profile). 

There isn't a security issue here, I wouldn't worry about it.

Message 2 of 2
See Most Recent