Postage Templates

With next week's Royal Mail prices rises I need to update my postage costs.  For overseas items I have used a single price to cover anywhere not UK in the past, which I have set to the dearest worldwide location and then reduced if the buyer is in a cheaper place.  This may have the effect of putting people of buying.

I wanted to set a price for EU and then different parts of the non-EU world.  However when you select by country you get a very cut down list of destinations (N and S America, a few EU countries, EU, Asia, Australia).  So nothing for Africa or New Zealand for example.  Also by selecting "N and S America" I am grouping say Brazil and USA together, when the postage costs are different from the UK.

So if I use this template I am excluding some countries, and cannot separate them as per the Royal Mail zoning system.  Is there a way around this, or perhaps I have to price as it the item was going to Australia and then reduce after the sale?

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

Postage Templates

I use the highest price option, and we do quite well with international sales.    I don't change prices but I do combine shipping

Calculations are always trick,  eBay charges final value fees, fixed order fees, fees on postage and the fees for international money exchange vary depending where they are sold.  They also charge fees on the sales tax on US items.   And insurance is often a good idea on international sales. 

If you have allowed for all of these fees and worry that you might be overcharging buyers, then shave a little bit off the postage charges you have across the board, so that it all comes out in the wash.

Someone might have a solution re charging individually, or perhaps suggest the Global shipping program, but I use business policies on two accounts and on others I do individual pricing, neither of which is better for this issue - and life is too short to sweat the small stuff so if you are really worried offer free UK postage and be a tad generous with International postage, last time I looked the10% discount on fees when free postage is offeered also applied to international sales.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

Postage Templates

You need to use Postage Rate Tables to gain more flexibility. Go to your Postage Preferences page here: Postage preferences (ebay.co.uk) and you can set them up. You don't have to use them for both domestic and international. If all you want to do is be able to set your countries more accurately then just set up international ones.

Once you've set them up, you just assign a rate table i the postage section on the listing form. To make them work, you do need to put in one postage service and price on the listing form (stupid but that's the way they work) but you can put in anything as the rate table will override it anyway.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent