Payment Dispute Help

Hello,

I've had a buyer open a payment dispute with me stating: 'eBay cancelled my account but I still want to receive my item. Please assist me'. His account is indeed no longer registered so I can't get in touch. I have not yet sent the item as today is a bank holiday. I'm unsure what to do, but do not want to continue any transactions outside of eBay. I also do not want to agree to the payment dispute to refund as it notes it may affect my account.

I've never had to deal with this before. I've opened up an 'issue with buyer' report to ask for help from eBay directly, but can anyone more seasoned advise on what to do so my account is not negatively affected? Of course I'm happy to refund since I still have the item, but I don't want this payment dispute to impact my account.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Payment Dispute Help

What reason did the buyer give for opening the payment dispute?  I assume it is that the item has not been received.

If that is the reason, obviously you have not sent the item and can't prove delivery so you should refund through the case.

You have not got any grounds for challenging the case - you would have to prove delivery of an item you haven't sent - so you would lose, and there is a fee of £16.80 if you challenge and lose a payment dispute.

So, refund the buyer.

Then, add them to your blocked buyers list.  Don't reply to any more messages from them.

If you relist the watch, please don't think about sending it using Royal Mail Signed For.  From 2nd April the compensation for items sent Signed For is dropping to £20.

Up the postage charge and send it Special Delivery.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Payment Dispute Help

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Assuming the buyer has paid, the only way to deal with this is to refund through the payment dispute.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Payment Dispute Help

Thank you. Would that charge me a dispute fee of sorts or anything? Or impact my account? Sorry to ask questions that may be a little 'green' but genuinely unsure of the best course of action.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Payment Dispute Help

What reason did the buyer give for opening the payment dispute?  I assume it is that the item has not been received.

If that is the reason, obviously you have not sent the item and can't prove delivery so you should refund through the case.

You have not got any grounds for challenging the case - you would have to prove delivery of an item you haven't sent - so you would lose, and there is a fee of £16.80 if you challenge and lose a payment dispute.

So, refund the buyer.

Then, add them to your blocked buyers list.  Don't reply to any more messages from them.

If you relist the watch, please don't think about sending it using Royal Mail Signed For.  From 2nd April the compensation for items sent Signed For is dropping to £20.

Up the postage charge and send it Special Delivery.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Payment Dispute Help

I don't think you will be charged a fee, or have it affect your account, but you can't keep the item and the money and even though that's a very odd reason for a payment dispute you can't win it.

Look at the payment dispute policy on the site.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Payment Dispute Help

Just to be clear I'm not trying to dispute the dispute and keep the money and my item! I'm just trying to find a way to resolve this without my account getting targeted/penalised. I've never dealt with this before - I'm just a personal seller and not a big eBay seller wig.

The dispute reason was that the buyer didn't receive the item, even though I haven't posted it.

Thank you @jckl1957 , I really just wanted to know if accepting the dispute to refund would be okay and not cause account issues. Also thank you for the head's up with the delivery charges. It's going to make it very difficult for me to choose postage now. I don't exactly make a lot of money to be risking item loss and be recompensated so little.

Thank you all who helped.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent