Overcharging glitch ( Postage set for £5, buyer charged £6)

Hi,

I've set postage for £5 , and it was the only available option.
I've checked it a few times before and after the transaction.

On the invoice it says the customer was charged £6 for postage, what has been confirmed by the buyer.

Does anyone had a similar glitch issue?

Message 1 of 21
See Most Recent
20 REPLIES 20

I do really appreciate it, but it doesn't give me the answer why buyer was charged more than it was set on Ebay.

Message 3 of 21
See Most Recent

Was the price they paid (without the postage) the same as listed or was 20% added to that too ? 

Message 4 of 21
See Most Recent

Hi,

price was charged correctly.
Item £22, Postage £5
On the invoice £22 + £6
Confirmed by the buyer, despite in the basked it was £5.

We also had some issues before the transaction, the buyer couldn't see that postage option, nor do I.
I tried it on my phone, my hubby's computer and it was showing only the old one for Evri.
So I had to remove all the other postage options ( evri ) and leave only that one ( RM ), then it worked.
I checked it with logged off account and it showed £5 in the basket. So it was definitely set for £5.

Best regards

Message 5 of 21
See Most Recent

Probably just another of those little glitches that happen all the time on ebay.

Of course it's a complete coincidence that ebay will have netted an extra 13.8% of that unexplained pound.

The "Relevant Team" will probably be informed and eventually might get around to fixing it.

In the meantime sellers will refund in full, at their own expense and ebay is laughing all the way to the bank (again).

Message 6 of 21
See Most Recent

@theelench wrote:

In the meantime sellers will refund in full, at their own expense and ebay is laughing all the way to the bank (again).

If the sellers refunds in full, Ebay will not get any commision.

But why would the seller refund in full? Seller can refund the rogue £1 (and Ebay will lose the commision on that pound).

Message 7 of 21
See Most Recent

Whether seller's pay any selling fees depends on the reason for the cancellation, but I think the most they are up for is the fixed fee (and any listing fees).   Ebay reps have previously told us that the real disincentive is the defect if the seller cancels because they want to, rather than because the buyer requests it.

Message 8 of 21
See Most Recent

@papso22 wrote:

Whether seller's pay any selling fees depends on the reason for the cancellation, but I think the most they are up for is the fixed fee (and any listing fees).   Ebay reps have previously told us that the real disincentive is the defect if the seller cancels because they want to, rather than because the buyer requests it.

Again I ask, why would the seller cancel? It seems a mighty over reaction!

Message 9 of 21
See Most Recent

I don't think they should.  If it turns out that the buyer has had to pay an extra £1, they can do a partial refund for the £1 and will get a partial refund of the fees.

Message 10 of 21
See Most Recent

As earlier in my reply I said "...that ebay will have netted an extra 13.8% of that unexplained pound" , that is the context of my reply.

I'm sure you knew that "in full" relates to that and also ebay will have taken 13.8p of the pound as its fee.

I didn't mention "cancellation".

Message 11 of 21
See Most Recent

Ask the buyer for their email address and send them the quid via PayPal.

Message 12 of 21
See Most Recent

@the-nutwood-collection wrote:

Ask the buyer for their email address and send them the quid via PayPal.

Better surely to do the refund through Ebay (using "send refund"). Doing it through Ebay's process has two advantages: you get your fees back (pennies I know but it's the priciple) and more importantly if something else goes wrong (Item not received or item not as described for instance) and you end up having to give a full refund, you could easily end up refunding the pound a second time if you have previously refunded "off Ebay."

Message 13 of 21
See Most Recent

Thanks for all the advice, I've processed partial refund through the Ebay refund.
It's just one pound, however totally unfair towards the buyer and the seller, as some buyers may be left with an impression of being unfairly overcharged with blaming the seller.

Will try to sort it out with ebay anyway. Thank you!

Message 14 of 21
See Most Recent

@varia_art wrote:

Thanks for all the advice, I've processed partial refund through the Ebay refund.
It's just one pound, however totally unfair towards the buyer and the seller, as some buyers may be left with an impression of being unfairly overcharged with blaming the seller.

Will try to sort it out with ebay anyway. Thank you!

Could you please come back and tell us what they say?

Message 15 of 21
See Most Recent

I will, once I get it sorted out.

Perhaps its a good idea to check how much they really charge your customers.
Easy to miss when having a larger sales. I sell rarely so easy to spot.

Message 16 of 21
See Most Recent

So basically after long chat with the agent, he states that everything is ok.

Despite :
Glitch on the listing shows £2.99 ( that option had been removed before the transaction) but they can see that.
The postage price was/ is set for £5 , which is still visible in editing panel as the only option.
The buyer was charged for postage £6 what is confirmed by the invoice, which they can also see.

On desktops it shows glitch - on various computers, browsers.
It shows the right price on the phone

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196056016430

Let's see what the chat with manager will do.

Message 17 of 21
See Most Recent

phone version

412616038_206058949164201_7828076959921595802_n (1).jpg

Message 18 of 21
See Most Recent

and the invoice

ebay glitch2.jpg

Message 19 of 21
See Most Recent

On the completed listing, postage is £2.99

Message 20 of 21
See Most Recent