Just seen jaw dropping Royal Mail price increases for large letters😯

I'm sure this has been brought up before and I apologise for any repetition but I just could not believe the huge price increases for large letters. 

As someone that mostly uses 2nd class large letter 100g and 250g services I've seen two large price increases this year :-

A less than 100g 2nd class large letter will have risen from £1.05 to £1.55 this year. That's a 47.6% increase.

A less than 250g 2nd class large letter will have risen from £1.65 to £2.40 this year. That's a 45.5% increase.

Less than 500g has thankfully only increased 25.6%, £2.15 to £2.70. 

Their huge increases drive business away and reduces number of letters posted and this is then used as justification for the next price increase which drives further business away etc. So many industries have a regulator these days but the RM seem to be able to do what ever they want without or with little regulation. 

I've done my best not to rant too much but, like many others, I'm a little miffed at these rises. 😡🥺😖

Message 1 of 51
See Most Recent
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Just seen jaw dropping Royal Mail price increases for large letters😯

@robbtyke132010 wrote:

I do not think there is anything to stop anyone putting on a first class large letter stamp to pay second class postage. Am I correct in this?

Absolutely! I do this myself. A bit of advice from personal experience:

1 - Some PO counter staff struggle with the concept. They shouldn't, as it's  totally above board, and is a basic fact of postage rules that they ought to know from their training, but I've had to explain it on more than one occasion. Maybe I'm just unlucky; there used to be a main PO in my town, but it closed years ago, and now my nearest PO is in a back corner of WH Smith. The staff are actually employees of WH Smith, not the PO, so it's more like a franchise - and perhaps the training is less thorough.

2 - As an added precaution, write the service used (including class, obviously)  somewhere prominent on the package. This shouldn't be necessary if a barcode sticker is produced, as the barcode will include the service paid for. There are at least two scenarios in which a barcode isn't produced.

The least likely, but one that I very recently encountered, is one in which the counter staff don't know how to do it. The lady in question is quite friendly, but quite scatty, and prone to getting confused and flustered. I had to remind her at least once during the transaction that I was sending the item 2nd Class, even though I'd clearly stated this at the start. As she didn't know how to do the label, she insisted I stick extra stamps on the package (the combined value of these extra stamps being the difference between the value of the 1st class stamp I already had and the cost of 2nd class postage for the item). I would have made more of an issue, but I'd already been waiting for a while, and there was a large queue behind me. I did later speak to another member of staff, politely pointing out that this lady needed some extra training, mentioning that I rarely have space on a package to place a load of additional stamps, and that this shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

The more common scenario is if you just put a stamp on the package, then pop it in the postbox (although, obviously, you won't get a Certificate of Posting that way). If you don't clearly write "[x service] 2nd Class", then your package (or, rather, chosen service) may well be deemed to be underpaid 1st Class, rather than correctly-paid 2nd Class.

There are possibly other scenarios, too. I hope you didn't find this reply too long-winded and/or condescending. Since you were asking for confirmation, I thought I'd answer you, but also thrown in those (hopefully useful) caveats. Obviously, no seller wants a buyer to be landed with a charge for underpaid postage - especially when the seller has actually paid the correct amount (for 2nd Class). 

Message 41 of 51
See Most Recent

If you think that's bad try an 85% price hike for Royal Mail Special delivery.   I sent some coins off to Birmingham last week in 6 packages, special delivery (Insurance value £2500) was around £10.55 for each, bad enough at £70 odd pounds.  Today I sent another 7 packages off to Birmingham RMSD, same insurance values, cost £17.95 each (£18.95 for the heavier ones), for a total cost of £130.

That's sheer daylight robbery in my view

Message 42 of 51
See Most Recent

and 10% extra on top of  that to ebay for doing nothing.

Message 43 of 51
See Most Recent

Scandalous !! and the thing is people don't always want to use SD because of actual value but the do it for sentimental value or rarity of the item. The problem is Royal Mail is just a 3rd party insurance scam because they don't even bother to look for items that are reported undelivered.  If something goes missing, you contact them, they check its worth and issue a check. When all the while you item is sitting on the floor of a van or depot and when it's discovered it's thrown into the auction bin unless you are very lucky.

Message 44 of 51
See Most Recent

This is why I stopped selling single knitting patterns as it no longer viable with the postal costs with Royal mail. 

Message 45 of 51
See Most Recent

We bit good news. In new OUR PRICES 2nd APRIL 2024 -250gm large letter down to £2.10 and 500gm down to £2.50. Not a lot but going in right direction 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Message 46 of 51
See Most Recent

I bought loads.of books of 1st class large letter @ £1.40 a while back. As eBay doesn't show them as delivered I had so many people say that hadn't received items, even after leaving feedback lol. Now I am left with loads of stamps as I now send tracked. Cost of tracked is now £3.50 for a large letter! Cheaper to send a parcel with Evri. 

Message 47 of 51
See Most Recent

signed for is absolutely insane , to send one badge signed for in a large letter is now £3.25 !  That's 6p more than a 2nd class 2kg parcel! Ebay take about 13% so to cover jiffy and their cut i would have to charge about £3.70 which would kill sales stone dead

Message 48 of 51
See Most Recent

I always thought reducing the 2nd class price was an odd one. Perhaps we now understand why they are continuing to do this - They want to reduce the days they deliver 2nd class down to 3 times a week. I guess this is the objective and why they've been softening up the public by saying the want all post days reduced. 

Message 49 of 51
See Most Recent

And we have another business on a private account fantastic. 

The postage is what it is buyers will have to pay it one way or another.

Yes it's expensive but it's what we have to pay if your selling expensive items youe may be able to absorb the cost, otherwise charge it.

Message 50 of 51
See Most Recent

Mismanaged - just like the railway - we're getting less customers so to cover the shortfall we'll put the prices up - oh! hang on we're getting even less customers now so lets put the prices up to cover the shortfall!
What ever happened to the "stack them high and sell them cheap" method - did the computer say NO.

Message 51 of 51
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: