Jewellery to Australia

Can you send jewellery to Australia from UK??  If so what is best method? What is involved?

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jewellery to Australia

There is no problem having jewellery imported to Australia, subject to taxes over quite a high amount 

The issue isn't importing, it's Royal Mail which has completely misunderstood the difference between precious metals for investment and precious metals in jewellery.

I can remember having a long written discourse with one of the head honchos at RM re this, which was going to be changed.  Except it never was.

I send jewellery to Australia every week, via Royal Mail, because my local post office accepts the parcels.  The main post office a few miles away doesn't.  Never had an item go missing or not received once it's in the system.

If a valuable piece, make sure it is tracked, and if you can't get it sent via royal mail, check the rules for other couriers.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Jewellery to Australia

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

If it's an expensive peice of jewellery you'll need to find a courier that will cover it against loss or damage. You may need to check out the more expensive international ones such as FedEx or DHL.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Jewellery to Australia

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

You need to check this out [Google it] as Australia has very strict import prohibitions on jewellery.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Jewellery to Australia

You could try eBay's Global Shipping Programme but note the following caveat under prohibited items:

"Jewellery, gold or any other precious metals (whether manufactured or non-manufactured) that are subject to carrier and/or customs restrictions"

So you would need to check the item can be legally exported out of the UK and legally imported into Australia. The carrier restrictions could be difficult to check as you would use Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed to send it to the GSP hub but you have no control over which carrier Pitney Bowes will employ to forward the item onto Australia which could cause them to refuse the item. Also note the guidance from Royal Mail if you are planning to send the item yourself without using eBay's GSP (maximum additional compensation up to £250).

Ultimately, I think it depends upon what exactly it is you are planning to send.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Jewellery to Australia

There is no problem having jewellery imported to Australia, subject to taxes over quite a high amount 

The issue isn't importing, it's Royal Mail which has completely misunderstood the difference between precious metals for investment and precious metals in jewellery.

I can remember having a long written discourse with one of the head honchos at RM re this, which was going to be changed.  Except it never was.

I send jewellery to Australia every week, via Royal Mail, because my local post office accepts the parcels.  The main post office a few miles away doesn't.  Never had an item go missing or not received once it's in the system.

If a valuable piece, make sure it is tracked, and if you can't get it sent via royal mail, check the rules for other couriers.  

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Jewellery to Australia

Thats a really useful reply, thank you 

Can i ask if you have insurance? I have an australian buyer wanting an item but I can't seem to find any high-value insurance?

Thank you

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent