Item listed as "For parts or not working" Buyer states not as described Ebay allow return

I sold an item which was listed as for parts not working with accessories . Upon receipt of the item the buyer says the parts he wanted from the device as a replacement for his current decice are damaged, therefore the item is not as described. I have a non return policy on the private account, the listing had the words " no returns accepted- do not bid if you do not agree" on an auction listing for an item under £10.

Uk distance selling regs do not apply because the item is under £42 and it was an auction.

EBay say the return request is valid , what?

The described item and all described accessories were sent and I assume received. I didn't send a pair of socks or an empty packet of sugar.

How is it not as described ? I do not understand please explain

thanks

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

Item listed as "For parts or not working" Buyer states not as described Ebay allow return

Which item was it?

If the buyer opens a case and states the item was 'not as described' you have to accept the return and get the item back.  It doesn't matter what you say on your listing - the Ebay Money Back Guarantee means the buyer can open a claim.

On some of your items, you suggest in the description that the item does work, even when listed as parts only.  This one, is an example: 

Technics SL-PG590 CD Player Working Vintage 1990s Optical OUT

If you list items for parts only, it's best to put nothing in the description to suggest you are selling a working item.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

@joftechnical wrote:

Uk distance selling regs do not apply because the item is under £42 and it was an auction.

The Consumer Contracts Regulations do not apply to private sales full stop. Where a consumer sale (a consumer buying from a business) is concerned the oft-quoted £42 exemption applies to "off-premises contracts"; it does not apply to distance sales of physical goods. 

Anyway, even though the CCRs don't apply eBay's (never read) User Agreement and associated policies do. That includes all sellers accepting a return if the buyer claims the item isn't as described - nothing a seller states in a listing overrides that.

@joftechnical wrote:

How is it not as described ? I do not understand please explain

Which item was it? Was it the Sony Ericsson W810i?

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

eBay's Money Back Guarantee overrides any disclaimers you write in the listing such as "no returns" or "sold as seen" (buyer can't see the item in person).

eBay allow buyers to return items if they say they are not as described 

For under £10 it might be worth cutting your losses and just refunding, as it will cost you to get the item back (seller pays return postage) as well as the outward postage. 

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

I have had similar in the past.

Sold a light for parts, took 12 pictures to show it from every angle. Buyer opens a return because there is a part missing and I receive a negative for good measure.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

If the buyer reports that the item isn't as described, then eBay's position is that the buyer is right. eBay haven't seen the item before you posted it nor have they seen what the buyer received, so buyer gets benefit of doubt.

If you have already contacted eBay Customer Services and they've told you that the return is valid then that is that. eBay's money back guarantee does apply for "item not as described" regardless of anything else.

In my view sellers need to be very careful about selling "for parts" items - seller has decided that they cannot or will not test the item ,or sell individual tested parts as working, or be clear which parts do and don't work, yet seller still wants to sell the item for money. But the buyer wants at some (specific) parts to be working for the purchase to be worth it. There is risk because those two sides may not line up. A disappointed buyer normally leads to a return, and a forced return on a "no returns" listing.

In this case buyer finds specific desired parts are fautly so wants to return. Listing wasn't clear (enough) about those parts so buyer assumed what they wanted - those parts working. All logical. If you can't handle that scenario then either only sell tested individual parts or get rid of untested stuff locally where eBay's return policy doesn't apply.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Hi,

I understand where you are comming from, however I now realise the it makes no difference what it written in the listing, what category it is sold in.

If a buyer wants, they can purchase an item , take parts from it to repair their item claim the parts were broken already and get the seller to pay for the return.

The buyer gets everything, the seller looses a good item plus postage.

Why sell on eBay??????

Makes no sense to me
Sent from my iPhone
Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

"Why sell on eBay??????"

The vast majority of Ebay sales go through OK.

Sometimes sellers try to off load junk on ebay so they deserve what they get.

I bought an amplifier off ebay for parts or repair for £30

When I got it all the volume controls were all shot.

All jack sockets were intermittent.

It would cost about £50 in parts to fix and around £50 in labour.

Clearly useless and only good for the recycling.

When I did open it up to look inside it was 30+ years old !

But it wasnt until I got it that I could assess if it was repairable or not.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent