Funds on hold item sent How long before I get paid?

Hi again all,

I've been selling on eBay for around 4 months now. I've sold a decent amount of items, have great feedback and dispatch items same day.

I posted on here last week after my funds got placed on hold. 

It's happened again but this time as the item was only £10, I sent it.

This is the wording eBay have given me on when I may receive my funds. It's pretty vague.

"Funds will be available after we can confirm delivery
Although the buyer has paid, the funds will be on hold until 1 day after we can confirm delivery. Keep in mind it may take longer to get paid if the buyer reports a problem or we detect an issue with the transaction. Learn more about payment holds. "

How I read this is as follows, eBay will hold my money for longer, should they wish, or if it takes them longer to confirm delivery, which is what bugs me. So basically even if the postman does his job and marks as delivered and it all updates. Ebay may still hold my money beyond this point? 

How long really before I see the funds?

I'm not interested in generic response / links to small print from those of you lucky enough to have older accounts that weren't subject to payment holds.

I would like some feedback from users with the actual experiences of these payment holds. 

Did you get the money? If so how long did it take? Any issues or problems? 

Many thanks 

Message 1 of 39
See Most Recent
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Funds on hold item sent How long before I get paid?

The item is pretty much mint so there should be no reason for this. Did you have funds on hold? 

Message 21 of 39
See Most Recent

I did think this myself, I've sold a number of items since then with no problems. That was a pain though, naturally my buyer requested to cancel after I notified him . However the only way I could refund him from eBay account and not my bank was to say it was out of stock. So I now have defect that eBay won't remove. I contacted customer service to ask about the payment hold and the defect. I just got the generic computer says no response. Rep said it's not because of that. 

New seller mistake on my part.

Message 22 of 39
See Most Recent

What I mean by mentioning the amount you've sold on that account is that I've sold quite a bit now and have not had any holds. Ive already been able to set my payouts  to on demand ect. It's so odd that I suddenly have holds a number of months into my selling journey. I already have good feedback ect. 

Message 23 of 39
See Most Recent

Despite what CS told you, my feeling is that it's the defect that has caused this hold.  Also, I see your buyer has given positive feedback but has included the phrase 'item wasn't in good condition' in the text.  If eBay uses its see-all-know-all AI on feedback, that phrase will not have helped.

As you say, rookie seller mistake.  We all make them.  In future, you'll know to use 'Buyer and seller agreed to cancel' - which was the truth.

Hopefully your funds wont be too long on hold.

Message 24 of 39
See Most Recent

I just spoke to CS again, they are absolutely useless, so you are probably right, it's my suspicion too. They are going to remove the defect as it's not correct. But they say defects should not place funds on hold. They are saying it is indeed because I'm new. I understand this but why they waited 3-4 months? Your guess is as good as mine. 

Yeah the buyer left a really stupid feedback.. I do have a feeling that he did that deliberately to mark up my account. I'm also thinking he reported the sale, which may explain the defect. If either are true it's not cool as I did the right thing by him. I could have just been a D and sent, but it's not who I am as a person.. I contacted him straight away and cancelled it as confirmed by his request.  I'm not sure how I managed to damage the item? Guess I got overly excited about the sale, I don't know my own strength.. 😂

Thanks man yeah we do when learning, Hopefully I will get the money. I'm pretty confident I will. If I don't you'll all be the first to know ha ha. 

Oh and fyi refunding him did cost me because they took sales fee out of my accounts processing  credit. So I got a few quid less for previous sale.. You live and learn.. 

Message 25 of 39
See Most Recent

@the-nutwood-collection Anyway way of getting that guy to change the feedback. Or should I just leave it?

Message 26 of 39
See Most Recent

I think only negative and neutral feedback can be revised.  I reckon you should just leave it, it's a positive and the comment will soon drop down the list.  Also, I don't think many buyers look at feedback until there's a problem with a sale - and then it's too late to find out that the seller has a dodgy history.

Message 27 of 39
See Most Recent

Cheers man, tbh I think I should leave it too, it dies demonstrate that I refund when something is not right. But it's a little bit if an under the cuff one isn't it. Some people hey..

The item which has funds on hold is due for delivery tomorrow. Fingers crossed I will get the money. 

Message 28 of 39
See Most Recent

Quick update for anyone wondering / anyone who has funds on hold in future.

Item marked as delivered this morning, funds available immediately. I also sold another item last night before the item was delivered, funds for this item sadly placed on hold. However I sold another item this morning and funds are processing no hold. So I guess I'm now out of payment hold jail. 

Message 29 of 39
See Most Recent

Good.  I'm pleased to hear you're in funds.  However, don't forget to keep a little of those funds in reserve for INRs and Returns.  Both happen with depressing frequency on eBay.  Don't squander the lot.

Message 30 of 39
See Most Recent

Cheers mate, yeah I'll be careful good advice. 

Message 31 of 39
See Most Recent

Ime getting holds on every item so far.  28 days I think...but once I ship and it shows a shipped I get a email and it updates that the money will be available for oay out in 14 days....here's the thing...then when the item is deliverd and it updates on ebay as deliverd the funds are released and payed out the next day witch shows in my account strait away...so that's what's happening to me...tracked 24 or speacial delivery I use purchased through ebay under sold item...weird init...not much of a hold really as long as it gets there....didn't even need buyer feedback just delivery comfirmation

Message 32 of 39
See Most Recent

Just curious, has ebay asked you for identify verification yet? this seems to happen if you begin to sell enough in a certain period of time. Once that process is complete it seems to then trigger the immediate payouts (well, within 24 hours) without your orders needing to be delivered first.

Message 33 of 39
See Most Recent

Hiya...no not as yet...ide guess I've got that to come..the last 2 items I've sold a watch and a ring ime sending through gsp and posting this Tuesday so I don't know how that's going to pan out....ime hoping for a release when they hit the gsp depo but I don't know...if I've got to wait for them to be delierd to usa I could be waiting a wile. ..the verification I thought ide allready done it through adding bank account and credit card.....havent been asked for licence or passport as yet....we will see I guess

Message 34 of 39
See Most Recent

I been buying and selling on eBay since 2004 and this happened to me for the first time last Saturday. Funds on hold until the item is delivered. Already £15.25 down on the postage. I suppose I got to hope my buyer is honest and doesn't shaft me though with what has happened to me the last week I wouldn't be surprised.

Message 35 of 39
See Most Recent

I have a situation now where my payment is on hold until 2nd May but the package arrived 2 days ago and the buyer has already acknowledged and given 5star feedback if anyone from eBay is monitoring this please can you fix this issue quickly..thanks

JohnW

Message 36 of 39
See Most Recent

I have a similar issue but not quite as long an automatic hold.

All 4 of my sales are showing as delivered.

2 of my 4 sales have positive feedback. 

eBay put a 14 day hold on as soon as items sold. I had thought once tracking showed delivered and good feedback was received (messages from buyer even say very happy with how machine works and its condition) that they would release sooner but no. I was told on the phone and confirmed again on chat with an agent that even with delivery confirmation and feedback, it makes no difference. Hold is effectively impossible for me to remove earlier. 

What I did find strange was the guy on chat saying that if I had used the eBay postage label, I'd have had the funds released by now. That is bizarre - I used Royal Mail 1st class recorded delivery and also DPD so both are tracked services with both showing as "delivered" on the selling screen. Why should it make a difference that I didn't print a label specifically through eBay if I uploaded tracking??

It is, frankly, pathetic that this happens with no way for me to speed it up according to them. I have a few things I was going to sell but I won't bother using eBay. 

Good luck with your hold, hopefully you get better luck than me.

Message 37 of 39
See Most Recent

oh I should add, there is no issue with the other 2 sales - the person just hasn't left feedback yet. I am not surprised, they didn't respond to any messages I sent so that's unfortunate. I wouldn’t mind if it were just those two they kept the holds on but not the other 2 with feedback.

Message 38 of 39
See Most Recent

Didn't even know this was still a thing. Sure they got their hands slapped for doing this as paypal. Im fortunately getting paid same day for now. Long may it last.

Message 39 of 39
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: