Ebay tracking number

I sold a item a used ticket. I got paid. Sent the item on the 19th March. Today is the 25th of March. The item was sent royal mail 75p postage. It come with ebay tracking. Because the item never turned up on the Saturday. The customer has put in a case. It was 75p second class postage. The customer selected the postage. Because he has put in a case. I can no longer collect my money from sales till this is sorted. The tracking is not updated. Do I have to Refund the customer? I honestly sent it. Makes me wonder if he got the ticket and is trying to pull a fast one. 

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Ebay tracking number

They could well be pulling a fast one but if the tracking does not show as delivered you will never know. If they have opened a case then you will need to refund within three days unless the tracking shows as delivered. 

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay tracking number

As it was a letter it won't get a delivery scan even if it has a QR code on so you may as well refund. We've just had this on another account, just refund, block and move on. 

You can always upgrade to large letters in future to get the delivery confirmation (not 100% guaranteed but a decent % will get scanned) but it's probably not worth paying more than double postage in the long run. 

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay tracking number

Unfortunately, Royal Mail is basically a scammers dream nowadays. Anything i've sent cheaply has been claimed on. Anything I've sent expensively, they refuse to pay out on. Ridiculous to say I've been sending everything Evri because 90% have landed and if it doesnt, they take a black photo, or item is damaged.....packlink pay out the claim with barely any argument. Saved me a lot of money. Unfortunately, cheap cheap items this just isnt viable for as Evri ur looking at £2.94.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay tracking number

I should clarify my previous message. 

You won't get delivery confirmation on a 75p 2nd class letter. 

Letters can have tracking if you pay for Signed For / Tracked / Special Delivery which you will need to do for your expensive ones. I had a look at a few and would say be careful on those, make sure you update the postage to the appropriate option. It is risky to send those as a standard letter / large letter and bad buyers will love to see that. 

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay tracking number

I have only ever used RM and not one of my items have gone missing (yet!).  When it comes to EVRI it depends very much on the local courier, mine will not deliver anywhere that is not on a main route so the only parcel ever delivered to this address came about a month ago (courier was sick).  Trying to get anything done about non delivery with EVRI is a nightmare (before anyone pipes in, we do not order from anyone using EVRI but when they say sending RM and then go cheap there is a problem).  I might also add that we have always recieved anything sent by RM.  Maybe it depends on the areas you live in.

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay tracking number

To the op, a 75p second class letter stamp has no tracking on it whatsoever. so if the buyer opens an item not received case you will have to refund, if you don't within the time frame you wil get a damaging defect on your account.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay tracking number

Postage these days come with a qr code that should be scanned on delivery, the tracking number you have will just show "updates will be available once delivery attempt has been made". It's a new thing and a lot of posties are not scanning them so it could have been lost or not scanned on delivery, keep checking the tracking and if not showing as delivered 1 day before you have to refund then refund the buyer. You will get fees back from eBay apart from the handling charge but you won't get a mark against your account.Nothing else you can do as there is no proof of delivery

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay tracking number

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

If you purchase a standard Royal Mail letter label online it comes with a "tracking number". However, that cannot be used to track the item. Badly named, isn't it?

If you sent an item as a plain letter then you have no defence at all if the buyer says the item didn't arrive. You will have to refund. If you don't refund, eBay will instead (and will not give you the fees back).

Historically I got about 2% of such untracked items reported as not arriving, I'm pretty sure nearly all the buyers were lying - in nearly 10 years at my current address my regular postie has misdelivered 1 item (was recovered later), I've probably received nearly 10,000 Royal Mail items in that time - that's 0.01% not 2%. I think buyers are increasingly aware about untracked items and that they can easily get a refund for them. It is a shame that we live in a society with such pervasive low-level fraud but that's how it is.

If you want to be able to prove that a Royal Mail item has arrived then use their Tracked 48 service. It costs £2.70 (Large Letter), which is a lot more than 75p, but that is the cost of proper tracking and insurance. (Don't bother with Signed For, it costs same/more and has less reliable tracking). Otherwise, if you send as a letter then you have to rely on the buyer's honesty.

Royal Mail Large Letters (£1.55 for 2nd class) should come with delivery confirmation, which counts as Tracking, but in my experience those only get scanned around 80-85% of the time, so it's not a good enough service if you must have Tracking.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay tracking number

It appears the OP sent a £45 item as a letter. I guessed it was one of the low value ones yesterday without looking.

If the OP reads this it would be a good idea to update the postage shown on the expensive ones as soon as you can. Your buyer may be genuine and hasn't received it but those listings are low hanging fruit to people scouring eBay for a freebie. 

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay tracking number

You say "The customer selected the postage" but - as you have found the choice of postage is for the seller's benefit I'm afraid.  The seller needs to choose something suitable and if it is - as suggested - for £45 you would need to choose signed for 1st class which covers to £50 if I recall. 

You can include the postage in your sale price and you "may" be able to claim [only for £20 though] from Royal Mail.  Try through Royal Mail Customer Service FREEPOST Plymouth. By letter - of course - and initially they may answer a question that they wish you had asked ["AI" perhaps?] rather than what you did ask.  If so try again.  @siadzad_khtk9o  

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay tracking number

@arkwebus 

And as of next week the Royal Mail signed for service is reduced to £20 it wont be £50 anymore for insurance purposes.

I would advise all sellers if you are posting at a post office from the 2nd April that the signed for service will be only suitable for a normal letter, that then gives you delivery confirmation. IF you have anything more valuable then its either send it as a large letter 750gm tracked or send it as special delivery. (basic insurance on SD is £750)

If sending a large letter at 101gms or more then tracked 24/48 works out cheaper at over the counter prices than signed for.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay tracking number

For £45 i would have sent recorded, but as long as you get delivery confirmation, there are options. For that amount of money you need to be careful, trust nobody when it comes to money recorded delivery is an extra pound, so not worth the loss that comes with the risk 😉

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent