Ebay Full Timers!

Hello Fellow Ebay Full Timers!

I have bitten the bullet and decided after being made redundant to go full time with Ebay in 2024... I love it..

But, after havning a superb Jan 2024, Ebay restricted my account!! Reasons for this are as follows:

1) Items arriving damaged

2) To many returns (due to see above)

3) Un-listing items that have not sold for over 6 months

1) OK, so the first one I accept, perhaps I should of packaged up the items more carefully, but is it me or are the various courier companies actively looking to smash your items this year? It's been aweful.. SO I learn't my leasson the hard way... moving on...

2) I accept the returns as the items arrived smashed up into pieces!! Nothing I can do about that.

3) This is the one I am struggelling to get my head round...

If I list an item say, a t-shirt and it has no watchers even though I have adjusted the picutres and lowered the price of it over a 6 month period, I decide to un-list that item as I have a listing limit and I want to list something else that might sell better why am I penalised for un-lisiting it?? Is anyone else having this issue? 

As  newbie to Ebay full time I would love to disscuss this and a couple of other things with any other newbies or experienced Ebayer's out there in the community...It would be sooo helpful, better than the chatbot's for sure!!

Appreciate you taking the time to read this..

Atticsales

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ebay Full Timers!

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

@atticsales2011 

Defects are given due to a seller not resolving a request on their own and eBay has to step in and resolve it for them. If you cancel an order because you can't complete the transaction and ship then you will receive a defect. Defects are also given for late shipping and tracking not uploaded on time and validated.

However, if your buyers were opening eBay claims and you were issuing return labels or refunds (if the item was damaged and had no value) before they had to ask eBay to step in then this should not result in a defect.

Check your Seller Dashboard (there's a link on the eBay guidance below) to see where the problems lie, and if you can post a screenshot here it would be most useful:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-standards-policy?id=4347&st=3&pos=1&que...

Point 3 is a red herring and sounds like something that's just made up.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Ebay Full Timers!

How did eBay lay out these 3 reasons to you? Was this something they said to you on live chat? Number 3 is nonsense. The only way I can think that is now correct is if all of a sudden they are clamping down on people mass unlisting and re-listing either to keep using promotions or to override the algorithm, as there is a theory out there about using sell similar to stop listings going stagnant.

Some more detail on number 3 would be useful. Numbers 1 & 2 are valid to be fair and not a lot you can do now but I do wonder if they are more concerned with your registration as private seller rather than a business account and just won't say it. 

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay Full Timers!

I have never come accross that as a reason for an account performance issue , maybe others know better than I. Personally I would question that judgement, you've bought your shop subscription you can sell what you like, or at least I thought so, maybe somethings been lost in language, perhaps contact Ebay CS on an AM call and get a european centre, or reach out to the board mods on a weekly chat. (Wednesdays) 

I do know the algorythm doesnt like poor performing inventory which maybe your 6 month issue, check this thread for helpful tips on getting better performance, 

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/Share-your-tips-for-increasing-sales/m-p/75088...

Its not a short thread but worth the time to read

Would also suggest checking out the Ebay business channel on Youtube, a lot there so filter what you feel is appropriate to you, Theres the Ebay Academy in your hub as well. Yes they can be basic but there are good snippets of useful as well

Good luck in your venture, hope you have success.

FBF

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay Full Timers!

Just to add as I see there are 2 threads going on this, I can't reply to the other one if it continues over there on members forum, my point re business registration isn't to have a pop at you about the rights or wrongs of it but that I think this may be the crux of the issue and is relevant so whoever you spoke to at eBay, assuming you have, may have been searching for other reasons to explain it. For some reason they don't like to talk about it.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay Full Timers!

Hello Technthread,

Thanks for your response....

I won't bother you with the full transcript, but basicly the person on the chat said that un-lisitng items effects your seller performance by creating a negative experience for buyers. Which between you amd me I thought was total BS, especially if no one even looked at the lisitng. This has happened twice to me now. How do you remove a listing that isn't selling with out if effecting your seller performance? Hence me asking for help with this... 

Cheers 

Chris

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay Full Timers!

This will spook a lot of people. If you were cancelling auctions with bids on fine I can see how they don't like that, even cancelling auctions with no bids all of the time isn't what they want, but are we only talking about ending buy it now items that are basically never going to sell?

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay Full Timers!

'chat said that un-lisitng items effects your seller performance' 

On the Ebay Youtube channel it tells you to end and relsit/sell similar as one of their best practices,

Suggest going through the process of getting your account reinstated and see what happens, again if your trying CS request the call back am and hope its european centre

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay Full Timers!

So have you been restricted? If so was it a MC011?

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay Full Timers!

A massive thanks to all of you who have responded.  A couple of things to mention I do not do auctions and I have no idea what MC011 is?

I will just have to wait for Ebay to decide if my seller performance has improved. I do not see any other way around this issue I am having.

Also, why does my customer feedback not have any sway in my seller performance? Plus why is it, my seller limits was set to 225 down from 400, But I have 196 items listed and I cannot add any more listings to the 225 seller limit? I have so many questions but why is it so hard to get answers to fairly simple questions..

Thanks again

Atticsales

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay Full Timers!

It might be worth ringing eBay. If you call in the morning you have a good chance of speaking to someone from eBay in Ireland and they may be able to discuss things in more detail than they will on live chat.

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay Full Timers!

First of all you can't improve your performance if your account is restricted and your unable to sell you can only improve performance by selling items and shipping items on time with a good customer experience. 

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay Full Timers!

"can't improve your performance if your account is restricted"

"only improve performance by selling items and shipping items on time with a good customer experience"

This I am fnding out the hardway I think....

Many thanks

Atticsales

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay Full Timers!

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

@atticsales2011 

Defects are given due to a seller not resolving a request on their own and eBay has to step in and resolve it for them. If you cancel an order because you can't complete the transaction and ship then you will receive a defect. Defects are also given for late shipping and tracking not uploaded on time and validated.

However, if your buyers were opening eBay claims and you were issuing return labels or refunds (if the item was damaged and had no value) before they had to ask eBay to step in then this should not result in a defect.

Check your Seller Dashboard (there's a link on the eBay guidance below) to see where the problems lie, and if you can post a screenshot here it would be most useful:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-standards-policy?id=4347&st=3&pos=1&que...

Point 3 is a red herring and sounds like something that's just made up.

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: