Customs form changes when sending parcels via your post office new barcode label to be used

As of a week ago there were changes to customs paperwork when submitting and sending your parcels at your post office. On the basis ebay haven't shared this change, I thought I would! It is as follows:

The CN22b customs form (the one with the barcode) is no longer valid.

All large letters/parcels (upto a value of £250) now must use the CN22a form. In addition a new barcode label is then attached for items that are not sent on a tracked service. I have pictured the two below for ease. This Is to facilitate the electronic customs submissions. 

Screen Shot 2023-10-09 at 11.10.21.png

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Customs form changes when sending parcels via your post office new barcode label to be used

Hi Tommy, I too have found this out however I have had conflicting advice from

both of my post offices, that the b is still valid, and the other said it's not. I also noticed that some staff hadn't added the bar codes on to the my packages so who knows if they will reach. I obtained some barcodes myself and I will attach to the parcels, does this mean the staff at PO need to insert all the info on the labels now? Also if I was to do this via printer would this automatically be printed out in the correct format? Or would I need to add the barcode and customs label separate? 
sorry for all of the questions, this is the only info I have found online about the change. 

regards,

Claire.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Apologies for the short delay in responding to you, it was a mad day yesterday!

Your post office that said its not valid is correct, and the non barcoded customs form should be used with the labelled barcode. (its a huge sticker i know!) These though are only used if your sending items standard airmail. If you are sending an item tracked for example or tracked and signed, then the barcode on those labels is used and not the one I have pictured above.

In theory if they haven't added a barcode then the post office would NOT have done the electronic customs data submissions properly as it requires a barcode (as previously mentioned) I would remind them politely that they need this if you catch them doing this. This is really important if items are going in to Europe as it will determine to customs on IOSS whether vat etc has been paid. (to that end I would additionally mark the package something like "VAT Paid IOSS: EBAY" Or similar)

IF you are purchasing labels from say Click and Drop from ROyal Mail they ask the same question and the data is automatically submitted at time of purchase, all your PO needs to do is scan the QR code to accept and complete in order to give you the Certificate of Posting.

IF you are using post office customs forms to fill in online then printing, it will still need a barcode, which should be affixed again at your PO.

POst office in their infinate wisdom only sent post offices a small roll of these labels initially. So it feels like I have been on rations for the past ten days or so! However the Horizon system that post office staff use are prompted all the way through, and it tells them to apply this new label now. (I know as I did three for a customer yesterday on the outreach service (a mobile post office that goes in the boot of my car). 

Hope that all helps.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Hi Tommy thanks for replying to me,

seems that the other post office is still unaware of this change which is so bizarre because they are an actual post office where as the other one I go to is a small branch. I haven't had many customers complain that their orders haven't arrived yet with this new change so it must be correct. I'm baffled that I'm being told such different information though. 
Can you send me any links you may have to prove this change I can't find anything about it online.

Thanks for your time hope you are well. 

Claire (35 baffled Etsy buisness owner)

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Okay thats fine for large letters and parcels,however,its not clear what sellers need to put on smaller envelopes for overseas destinations do we still have to hand them in at the post office with large letters and parcels,please clarify

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent