Can I get postage defects as soon as switch to business seller?

I’m considering changing to a business seller due to the lower fees. While researching the question, I’ve seen that sellers who don’t post the same day as buying the label are marked as defects. I have done that with a few items in the last few months, as I didn’t realise it was “a bad thing” - will that get me defects as soon as I switch to business? Thanks for any helpful insights!

Message 1 of 24
See Most Recent
23 REPLIES 23

Why switch to business for 'lower fees' there aren't any. VAT is added to the fees so you pay more. You get no free listings and have to subscribe to a shop or pay for each listing and eBay only ever give fee promos to businesses once every 6 blue moons.

What you are referring to is that 10% off fees for each listing that matches that requirement and 10% isn't much (£100 sale = around £15 in fees so it's a £1.50 fee discount). The requirements to get that small reduction in fees isn't worth the hassle. Having to offer 30 days returns on the listing and premium delivery option within 2 days will soon wipe out any benefit gained from lowered fees on those listings (especially if any delay to the parcel happens when it's with the courier as it means people can open INR cases sooner and you'll potentially have to refund them for it to turn up a few days later and then its a battle to get them to oay again)

Why would any have a defect for not sending the same day as the label is created? It's all about the dispatch date eBay show to dispatch by in the sold section. If you make a label a day or 2 before and send it before or on the send by date, it's fine. 

You should be on a business account regardless if you buy stuff to sell on eBay for profit. It's the law. 

Message 2 of 24
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

@deluxedelujo wrote:

I’m considering changing to a business seller due to the lower fees. 

Why do you think that the fees will be lower?

Message 3 of 24
See Most Recent

...because I'm planning to sell collectables, garden items & home furniture, which appear to have final value fees for businesses at 10.9% as against the private sellers' rate of 12.8%

Message 4 of 24
See Most Recent

That 10.9% has vat added, as does the 30p fixed fee.  Private sellers fees are inclusive of vat.  Business sellers also pay listing fees unless they pay for a shop.  I have never seen a situation where a business account works out cheaper.

Regardless of the fee situation, a business account is a legal requirement if you buy with the intention of selling.  

Message 5 of 24
See Most Recent

I have found having my address on the bottom of each page listing,and phone numbers is a pain,2 times now I have had phone calls on Christmas Day,about my sale items (will it fit my classic car or not),from lonely men who are separated,so have a love affair with there 1960s car not the wife.

Message 6 of 24
See Most Recent

I'm afraid that's life. This isn't a matter of what you don't want, or if it's a pain, it's a legal requirement under distant selling laws. 

Putting your details into the listing description on a private account breaches eBay's terms. The only way to comply with the law is to have a business account. 

You've got over 1000 items listed so clearly are a business seller and therefore I'm afraid you are breaking the distant selling laws. The whole lot will be clamped down on at the start of next year when eBay have to share over stuff direct to HMRC. 

Plenty of bigger businesses with 1000's of followers don't seem to have this problem so for all you know it's someone you knew having a laugh or they've got someone they know to do it for them. 

Message 7 of 24
See Most Recent

Wow, that's blatant misrepresentation of a business as a private seller! That's another law broken.

Message 8 of 24
See Most Recent

You are in no position to advise anyone about a business account considering you are breaking consumer laws and Ebay rules.

Message 9 of 24
See Most Recent

I do give advice,as I have a shop,so I do need to have personal information ie address on the listing pages,I also have lower price rubbish on other private pages,so I was trying to help the chap asking the question by trying to help with comparison of the 2 different sales methods,some of my sales pages have been active for near on 20 years,so i am able to give comparisons,just trying to help.

Message 10 of 24
See Most Recent

I've not said you aren't trying to help,  in fact you've not even posted on this thread and I've not commented on anything you put elsewhere.  

Crazy though really, your business (dadsattictoys) has 972 items listed, yet it's a private account. So that's another one possibly giving advice when they themselves aren't correctly registered and are trading illegally. 

I'll tell ye what eBayers, the flouters are out in force today. 

Message 11 of 24
See Most Recent

Possibly used their other account in previous comments?

Message 12 of 24
See Most Recent

Think you are right.

@dadsattictoys and @lesney_robin both have this at the bottom of their descriptions

'Sellers stock reminder only,stock item location ...'

Both are private accounts that should be business accounts.  Private sellers don't really have 'stock' do they?

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 13 of 24
See Most Recent

Let's just try to help the chap with his original question,but well done finding the information on my accounts,I have sold on eBay for over 15 years,with very little complaints from costumers or eBay,only complaints from other eBay sellers/or experts on the help pages like this 1,let's try to only help 1 or other gently,not openly knife them in the back with unhelpful comments about laws been broken,I just like to help other sellers,I do not look for broken laws,as no one if perfect,happy new year to you all.

Message 14 of 24
See Most Recent

You don't need to look for broken laws, they are obvious on every single one of your listings. 

Message 15 of 24
See Most Recent

Thanks for your informative reply.

Re.  'You should be on a business account regardless if you buy stuff to sell on eBay for profit. It's the law.'

Could you tell me which Act of Parliament it is please so I can research? Thanks

Message 16 of 24
See Most Recent

If you're making or buying goods to re-sell that would be The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 you're looking for.

Message 17 of 24
See Most Recent

I don't understand why Ebay even allow sellers to break the law by selling as private sellers on their platform when it is obvious that they are a business seller. Surely Ebay must care about about how their platform is being used as it reflects very badly on them? I'm only a buyer so I have no selling experience but I will never purchase anything from a seller who is breaking the law.

Message 18 of 24
See Most Recent

The reason they do it is because of money, it would cost them to actually police their site and it might stop people selling on the site so they wont get any money if people dont sell. 

Sadly not all buyers are like yourself, many just go for the cheapest, private accounts can use the promos and no returns to undercut many businesses, hence why so many get annoyed by the lack of action by eBay.

It would be much easier if eBay just had 1 set of rules for all, that includes promos, fees, and returns but they know that many wouldnt sell if buyers could return so instead they will continue to run the site with multiple illegal sellers but claim everything is working fine.

Message 19 of 24
See Most Recent