Buyer wants to pay but says his country is blocked How do I fix this

An offer made and accepted.  Now he writes that  his coutry Argentina is blocked. 

I havent blocked it   How do I deal with this please

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

You'll need a PC / laptop to manage this as the app is a little lacking in all options and features you may need.

You then need to send an invoice to your buyer showing the correct iinternational postage, this will explain how:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/getting-paid/sending-invoices-buyers?id=4139&st=12&pos=1&query=S...

Was the lovely Whippet figure?  Personally,  before sending the invoice for them to accept and pay I would advise them to find out the custom duty they'll need to pay.  It may be more than they expect to pay then it would result in a custom hold and the item perhaps being sent back to you.

@gainsboroughlady 

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

This is my problem re Import duty & VAT   

The invoice I could send had none.  I thought eBay put all the info on when someone  abroad was buying an item ?  Maybe a best offer doesnt get the same info

Will do as you advise  Thank  you

Yes it was the Whippet

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

If you had the item listed throuugh eBay's GSP,  Glocal Shipping Programme this gives the buyer the international postage charges and duty for them to pay.

If you are sure you wish to send that lovely item to the other side of the world,   what I suggest is to cancel the order citing Problem with Buyer's account and relist it under eBay's GSP.  That way you just need tracking to show delivery to the UK hub which is in Lichfield Staffordshire, and after that it's eBay's responsibility for the safe journey and arrival for that item.  All postal and customs costs are thus included for the buyer.  

To sell internationally and select the Glocal Shipping Programme see here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ship/prf

See if the system allows you to do this , as not all sellers can sell internationally straight away.

Keep your buyer informed of all this, that they'll have to wait a while for the item to be relisted under this scheme.

I would still message the buyer for them to find out the custom duty they'd have to pay for an item from the UK,  they have the value so easy to find out,  it may be too high anyway and they may not wish to proceed.

@gainsboroughlady 

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

I don't think Argentina is on the gsp list of eligible countries.

Screenshot_2024-03-27-09-44-46-591.jpeg

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Aaah @gainsboroughlady   as Argentina is not covered by GSP,  I would then advise to cancel this order citing Problem with Buyer's Address.    This refunds you your seller fee and your seller performance is not afected.

The duty involved and the journey resulting in a possible damage to the fragile item, I'm sure any insurance you took would not cover the damage but you'd have to fully refund the buyer anyway under eBay's 30 day MBG policy.

Your choice but I do think it's a risk here.  Send your buyer a polite message re the cancellation so they don't buy it again, or you can block them from returning here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

When you listed the item for sale did you include an international postage option on the listing?  If not then that may well be the reason as to why your buyer cannot pay for the item.  In that case should you wish to proceed with the sale then it would be worth following the advice given in Tressygirl's first reply on this thread.

With regards to the possibility of the item becoming damaged in transit, this is something that could just as easily occur if you were posting the item to a buyer within the United Kingdom.  However, given that it generally takes longer for items to be delivered to buyers in overseas destinations the risk of damage in transit becomes greater.  Although the risk of the item becoming damaged in transit could be minimised by wrapping it up in several layers of bubble wrap and stuffing awkward to reach areas of the box, such as the edges, with scrunched up tissue, it is extremely difficult to ensure that there is absolutely no way that the item could get damaged in transit.

In view of the above what I would suggest is that you think carefully before listing your items as to how risky it would be to send the item overseas should a buyer from outside of the United Kingdom be interested in buying it.  For items such as books and clothing there is little chance that the item could end up getting damaged in transit, but for items such as bone china and glass ornaments the risk is far higher.  Therefore, for items with a higher risk of becoming damaged in transit, it may be best not to include an international postage option on those listings and instead include something in the item description along the lines of "Unfortunately due to the delicate nature of the item I cannot offer postage to international destinations."

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent