Buyer has broken my item and has sent it back for a refund what can I do?

I sold an item in perfect working order and I have got proof with a photograph taken of it lit up just before I packaged it to them.

the buyer messaged me to say that they couldn't get it to work. I thought they were just doing something wrong with charging it so I allowed them to send it back.

now I have received it back, I've realised that it's now broken. This must have been the buyer that has done something to the item.

where do I stand please? It's a high value item and I'm devastated.

thank you 

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

It may have been damaged in the post, so you were correct to refund

Claim for the damage from the courier you sent it with

Retain all packaging as they may want to see it before they compensate you for the damaged item. If they decide your packaging was inadequate they may not refund you however.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Unfortunately, electronic items can stop working really suddenly or the item might have been damaged in transit.  No matter how well you package an item, it may not withstand being thrown about and/or having heavy items dropped on it.

You can contact Ebay Customer Services and tell them that the item has been returned to you in a different condition.

They might let you make a reduction in the refund you give your buyer.

Really, anything of that value, I would only sell as a collection item so the buyer can check it is working and possibly pay you cash on collection.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

I presume you took out adequate insurance cover for the item and checked the very long list of items excluded from compensation before sending? I notice you used an Evri economy service to send your high value item. 

I'm afraid Evri has a long list of items it will not insure against damage in transit, so I would check that before deciding to attempt to get compensation from them. 

Always check that your item is covered by compensation when in transit, and ensure you use a service that will cover an item of that nature and value in case it gets damaged in the post. 

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Did you record the serial number of the item; i.e. are you sure you received the same item back? Also, it seems this device has a removable battery; have you checked the instructions on the manufacturer's website to see if the battery is still present?

@heidi_lisa_jane wrote:

now I have received it back, I've realised that it's now broken. This must have been the buyer that has done something to the item.

Not necessarily; electronic items can easily be damaged in transit. If possible you need to ascertain you have received the same item back with the same charger it was sent with and with the same battery connected. If it is the same item, charger and battery and there are no other indications of misuse it was probably damaged in transit.  

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

You say the item is now "broken" - what exactly do you mean by that? Do you think the item could have been damaged in transit either on the way there or on the way back? Or is the damage not possible from delivery? Could the buyer have accidentally damaged the item trying to use it?

You need to decide where the fault has come from. Or if unsure, post details here for help.

If the item was damaged in transit then you need to claim from the courier if you can. However, most economy couriers exclude electronics from compensation, and couriers that do normally cover them e.g. Royal Mail will require evidence of the packaging you used to prove that the item was properly packed for shipping. Without that evidence they will be unlikely to pay out for a damage claim.

If the item was knowingly damaged by the buyer and then returned to you then you have been the victim of fraud. So you would need to submit a report to Action Fraud, then download a PDF of the Action Fraud report. Then you appeal to eBay that you have been the victim of fraud and eBay might refund the item cost/loss you have incurred once you've provided the Action Fraud report.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: