Buyer collected now wants a return. Who is responsible

Buyer came to buy a piece of music equipment. On arrival, I had it all set up and working for his inspection.

He said "I don't need to test it I trust you, plus we only need it for one family event"

Now the seller is inboxing me asking for half of his money back due to damage that I know was not there. (Irrelevant, but he actually bought the item at a 5th of the going rate)

He is also saying that it was not set up to see it working when he arrived to collect the item and he's glad ebay allows him to test and return after sale.

It all seems a bit shady in my opinion and I've simply asked him to return the item as I'm not comfortable with sending part payments back.

Who is responsible for the return ? He collected the item in person. Does he have to return it in person?  If I am responsible for collecting it what is ebay policy if the seller refuses to give me his location ?

Many thanks 

Message 1 of 21
See Most Recent
20 REPLIES 20

The item would normally be returned by the same method stated for delivery on the listing.   So if you had postage on there it would be by post even if that wasn't used originally.   If you had collection on there it would be up to the buyer to bring it back.

Message 2 of 21
See Most Recent

Possibly used it for family event now wants his money back ?

Ebay relies a lot on honesty and sadly not all buyers are honest.

Message 3 of 21
See Most Recent

Did the Buyer pay cash on collection? - if so, bought as seen, no refund.

If paid via Managed Payment   -   eBay's 30 day Guarantee as stated on Seller's Advert   -  no Courier was paid for as Buyer collected, so the Buyer will have to return it to get a refund if you except return, so no need for the Buyer's address.

( Your advert said 'no returns)

Wait & see if the Buyer opens a case. 

Message 4 of 21
See Most Recent

@**peaseblossom** wrote:

The item would normally be returned by the same method stated for delivery on the listing.   So if you had postage on there it would be by post even if that wasn't used originally.   If you had collection on there it would be up to the buyer to bring it back.

Interesting,  I always thought that regardless of collection, a seller still had to arrange for the return if a case for item not as described was opened.

Message 5 of 21
See Most Recent

That was my understanding too

Message 6 of 21
See Most Recent

I'm inclined to agree with @**peaseblossom**  though the Help&Contact page is a little ambiguous - under 'Managing returns and item not received requests' it states "Returns for local collection listings should be treated the same as other delivery options".

Whether 'other delivery options' means any delivery option available but not included on the original listing is unclear. It could be read as if the item was collected it should be returned by the person who collected it, or that it should be collected by the seller (as in it's the seller who bears the cost of collection, in the same way that a seller would pay for a return label), or possibly that if a postage option was offered on the original listing in addition to collection that the seller should purchase and provide a shipping label for return.

My reading of the original post is that the buyer has so far only messaged the seller and has yet to open a NAD case. It might be as well to wait until a case is opened to see what eBay's returns process instructs the seller to do - either collect the item, pay for a shipping label or have the buyer return the item personally. And I don't think contacting CS would do much good because they'll most likely say what the caller wants to hear just to get them off the line.

Message 7 of 21
See Most Recent

Ebay's woeful command of the English language means that they could mean,  'collected returns are handled the same as delivered returns', I.e seller arranges.  Clear as mud really. 

I suppose we would only really know if ebay insists the OP provides a label, or else ebay will force a refund.

Message 8 of 21
See Most Recent

Hi all,

Just to clarify, even if the buyer collected the item in person, the seller still needs to provide a returns label when the buyer files a not as described return, so the buyer can send the item back for a full refund. 

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 9 of 21
See Most Recent

Marco how does this work if the reason an item was collection only was because it couldnt be posted or trusted with a courier i.e. not covered by loss/damage compensation?  Your comment implies that sellers should never sell items collection only because even if inspected and tested  then bought they can still turn around and charge the seller to send it back for a refund? If not returned ebay will refund anyway? Sellers need to know this that they have no protection for collection in person. Thanks.

Message 10 of 21
See Most Recent

But not if they paid cash on collection.

Message 11 of 21
See Most Recent

Hi jeffremington,

You can list the item for collection and delivery, or collection only. Since you are the seller of the item, is entirely up to you to set up the delivery/collection method for the item you're selling. In terms of protection, this is all stated in our Money Back Guarantee for buyers and sellers.

Regarding your question, if a return is filed and the buyer fails to send the item back after you provide a returns label, then you won't have to issue a refund and we won't refund the buyer either as they failed to return the item. This is also stated on our Money Back Guarantee policy.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 12 of 21
See Most Recent

@jeffremington wrote:

Marco how does this work if the reason an item was collection only was because it couldnt be posted or trusted with a courier i.e. not covered by loss/damage compensation?  Your comment implies that sellers should never sell items collection only because even if inspected and tested  then bought they can still turn around and charge the seller to send it back for a refund? If not returned ebay will refund anyway? Sellers need to know this that they have no protection for collection in person. Thanks.

marco@ebay 

Tagged.

Message 13 of 21
See Most Recent

That's why my brother likes Facebook where he can state cash only for pickups.

eBay needs to have a cash only option for pickup items. It makes no difference as they still get their cut under managed payments. I don't understand why they're dragging their feet.

Message 14 of 21
See Most Recent

A paid returns label or just a return label with name and address? They are 2 completely different things. 

Message 15 of 21
See Most Recent

@loads-of-life-in-me-yet wrote:

A paid returns label or just a return label with name and address? They are 2 completely different things. 

Paid if it's being returned as not as described via eBay's Money Back Guarantee.

The seller is responsible for the cost of the return.

Message 16 of 21
See Most Recent

This is so confusing and utter *bleep* from ebay. I had similar issue for a large electronic item that was collection only buyer came to collect I insist he checks throughly he didnt I still turned the appliance on and off and helped to even load it in is van.

2 days later I receive a message that item is defective and they will open a return and ebay giving the same option as acept a return, offer partial refund or send full refund.

If I accept a return who pays for return shiping/arrange collection?

The reason it was listed for collection only was it was a very large item not suitable to be shipped. The allegedly had to travel 2 hours to collect the item.

Ebay's official site state that returns for collection only items should be treated the same way as postage items-implying seller has to arrange collection or pay postage for the item to be returned to them whereas forum says if collected in person buyer has to return the item as they chose to collect!

Message 18 of 21
See Most Recent

If your buyer opens a not as described eBay return then you'll be required to make and pay for the return arrangements.

Message 19 of 21
See Most Recent

It must be a pre-paid return label 

Message 20 of 21
See Most Recent