Broken Item

Hi wonder if anyone can help me. I brought a car pump to blow my tyres up 3 months ok. I opened it for the 1st time this morning to find out it was broke. Im trying to get incontact with ebay to ask them for there advise but cant find where to go. Has anyone had the same situation. If anyone can point me in the right direction to contact ebay would be much appreciated

Regards

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Broken Item

Unfortunately you're way out of time for an eBay refund, as they only allow buyers a month from the date of purchase.  If, however,  you paid for the item via PayPal then contact PayPal and open a case there.  Unlike eBay, who only offer buyers thirty days to open a case, PayPal offer buyers up to one hundred and eighty days during which to open a case against the seller.  Remember to escalate the case before the twenty day deadline if you do decide to pursue this option, though, otherwise the case will time out on you and you will not be able to re-open it.

If you paid for the item via credit/debit card you could try doing a chargeback in order to get your money back from the seller.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Broken Item

Always open items as soon as they arrive and check that they work.

Ebay give 30 days to make a claim.

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Broken Item

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

If you want to be covered by eBay guarantee policies you need to test the item within 30 days and open a return before then if there's a problem.

It's now outside of that so if you open an eBay return the seller can decline it.

What I would do is contact the seller and politely ask them if you can arrange a return or replacement. I would give the seller that chance first. If the seller says no or doesn't respond and you feel that you should still be covered then you will have to raise a payment dispute with your bank or card provider.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Broken Item

As stated, eBay's Money Back Guarantee only lasts for 30 days following the latest estimated delivery date. There's nothing eBay can do.

If the account you purchased from is registered as a business account and the business is registered in the UK you have consumer rights that extend beyond eBay's 30 day Money back Guarantee. If you purchased the item from a private seller or a non-UK registered business you don't have any consumer rights to fall back on.

To find out if the seller is registered as a business or private seller click on their eBay username in your selling history then click the "About" tab. If they are registered as a business seller it will say so along with the business's contact details that will contain their address. If it just states their location and registration date they are registered as a private seller. 

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent