Are these listings against the rules?

The descriptions say the seller will take 50% of any revenue on a monthly basis, surely this is against eBay selling practices?

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

They do break selling rules,  you can report those listings,  there's a report button down the right hand side of those listings.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

I thought so, I actually reported them a few a days ago but they are still live so I wasn't sure, thanks

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Mmmm,   it's truly hit and miss with reporting items.  I have no idea how eBay act on these reports, some seem to hit the right agent and the item is removed immediately,  and there's some for unknown reasons remain.

You have done all you can, not sure contacting eBay Customer Services helps in these cases, you can try if you wish.  Lines are currently closed but reopen in under an hour at 8 a.m.  There's more chance of Dublin answering  at 8 a.m.  so you may receive a more accurate reply if these items will be removed or not.

To Contact Customer Services, I find the quickest way to contact them, either for a Live Chat, or you can select to speak and request a Call Back, to click on this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

On weekdays lines open between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

On weekends they open between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

@gesm-2163 

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

never heard of these things but surely 'free to a good home' and then £1700  is a contradiction!  Also if they take 50% of something surely that means they are also not a private buyer?   Is anyone daft enough to spend that kind of money on something so nebulous (ok I know the answer to that already!)

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

Adding to the advice already given -

they are a business seller trading as a private seller in violation of eBay rules and the law.

also they are running a 'loan' scheme - not allowed on eBay.

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

I too reported 1 of these items to eBay:

FREE TO A GOOD HOME!

£1,700.00 or Best Offer
We have a number of brand new Linxdot Helium Miners ready to deploy on a loan basis. 
We will share 50% of HNT mined to you, up to a value of £120 per month
IF YOU PRESS "BUY IT NOW" YOU WILL RECEIVE ONE LINXDOT HELIUM MNIER FOR £2000
This is their response:
Thanks again for reporting the listing(s) you found. 
What happened:
We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy. This determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence.
Thank you for being part of the eBay community.
Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

What a joke
Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

I am not sure what this would get reported as? Chance listing? Displaying contact details in picture 2? The business seller one wouldn't work we all know that... Will try a couple see what happens!

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy. This determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence.

This speaks volumes for ebay 's reporting system. The listings break so many rules and their automation/AI can't spot this. It just makes a mockery of reporting listings to ebay.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

AI says its ok if the seller has their own contact details..... so picture policy isn't the way.

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Niether is chance listings....

dave@ebay , marco@ebay 

Why are these listings not being removed when they breach so many ebay policies? Item number 185481282533  could you look in to it please.

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

@tommystrezures wrote:

I am not sure what this would get reported as?

I wondered if there even was a policy that forbade such an item. As it turns out, there is: eBay's virtual currency policy:

"The following are not allowed:

• Virtual currency including Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other cryptocurrencies
  • Virtual currency mining contracts
  • Virtual currency paper wallets

The following are allowed provided the item does not include virtual currency:

• Virtual currency mining hardware
  • Virtual currency hardware wallets
  • Collectible physical coins in compliance with our Collectible currency policy

It definitely sounds like a "virtual currency mining contract". Getting eBay to understand their own policy might be another matter.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Well the one I highlighted has been removed, so thank you whoever that was.

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent