Account Nuked Twice In Less Than A Month!

Anyone know why eBay would just randomly nuke a private account selling unwanted toys and household items?

They stated suspicious activity, something to do with login locations, but only I have access to my account and I normally use my PC to list, edit and answer messages and occasionally my phone if I'm out and about via the the Opera browser.

They nuked 85 items in the last time, which was the first week of December, items which had taken months to compile.

After a few hours on chat and phone, I managed to get the account re-instated, but my user ID had been reverted to an eBay generated ID from when the account was opened in 2015.

All my contact details had also been reverted to what they had been in 2015 too, with my home landline being the main contact number and my updated phone numbers and email address just wiped out.

Got a link to reset, but I no longer owned a landline handset, was unable to do the 6-digit verification when changing account settings and the like.

Borrowed a hanset from a neighbour and finally managed to gain access to my account

All of my 85 items (which were listed during the 80% Off FVF) were ended and I found them in my Unsold Items.

One saving grace was that I didn't have to do all the item descriptions, measurements and item specifics again but as everyting had been on the 80% FVF promo, I had to reluctantly increase the price of everything to cover the increase in FVF fees and the fees on postage when I relisted them.

I then ended up listing a load of my sons old toys in the following two weeks, so had about 140 items listed up until this afternoon.

Sold a collection only item before Xmax which was bought properly via eBay BIN (so that eBay got their fees) and agreed with the buyer to meet half way but still had to travel 50 yesterday miles to drop off.

Then a short time ago, I went to reduce the price of some items and couldn't log in.

Checked my emails and had received the same email as last time (se attachment).

Only this time , 140+ items nuked, 90+ of which were on the last FVF promo.

To make matters worse, they sent the email to the email they had wiped from my account back in early December.

Phoned them again and again, stated suspicious login activity.

Feel like just packing it all in!

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

All very odd,  but the message does say to contact them, eBay CS,  to access your account again.

I would suggest contacting them only,  when the lines first open at 8 a.m. on weekdays as there's more chance of Dublin answering ,  and explaining what is going on here.  It's 9 a.m. on weekends,  but ask for Call Back so you'll hear if it's Dublin.

To Contact Customer Services it's a Live Chat, or you can select to speak and request a Call Back. Click on this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

On weekdays lines open between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

On weekends they open between 9 a.m. aand 6 p.m.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Very wierd!

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

I had already contacted them before posting the OP and was told to expect a call back within 24 hours.

Well, an hour or so ago, I got a callback to verify my details and the account was reinstated again.

Only thing is and the same as last time all my items had been ended and were waiting to be relisted in the Unsold Items section.

Strangely, the User ID has been changed back to what it was before the last time they nuked it and they once again changed my phone number to an old landline.

Absolute ballache!

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

If there has been "suspicious activity" is there any chance your account has been hacked? It might be worth changing you password just in case, if you have not already done so,

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

No, no chance it's been hacked at all.

The only thing I can assume is that when I check my used devices and log-in locations, it states that there are log-ins from Tower Hamlets, which is over 300 miles away and I'd guess is related to the physical location of my IPS server, which is Telehouse Data Centre at Docklands (London).

But surely the TFA should iron out any potential issues with locations?

Annoyingly, eBay say that "We understand that this is unsettling news, but rest assured your account is now safe" but what they do not realise is the effort and stress it causes when they have just fluffed up with their over sensitive detection system.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Doesnt really help but there may be attempts not listed that you cant see, maybe that is why

Is a VPN being used? Im not au fait, would VPN's effect the system?

Can only suggest you make things as secure as you possibly can, as stated change passwords, its a pain but two step verification will certainly help, read the latest Ebay guidelines on security and check them, may seem obvious but things change/get updated 

Password data is published on the net, my iphone often tells me compromised  passwords I use are out there.

Frustrating for you, good luck

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Just a thought if this continues,

Again not something I practice but you have the bulk upload tool, others may be able to advise but I think you can download your inventory as well. Maybe if I am correct, download on a daily basis and keep it so if an issue arises, the hard inventory work, is there ready and waiting. 

Others expertise may help,  

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Thanks for the info, but no, don't use a VPN (never have) and don't have the free VPN enabled in Opera and I just know no-one else has accessed my account as I am the sole user and my passwords are very strong and nothing has been changed regarding bank info, personal details and  the like, which one would expect on a hacked account.

I have revoked all my "Trusted Devices" since getting back on and will use TFA every time instead of trusting browsers as I think that may be the issue in part.  I know I changed my default browser on my phone recently and although that shouldn't matter as the device is still the same, none of us will understand how eBays auto fraud-detection systems work and guess they've implemented some kind of AI system which is too sensitive.

I just know it has been a PITA and eBay customer services "Oh, I am sorry this has happened to you" just doesn't help at all!

Thanks again and all the best!

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent