24 years with eBay and not a problem ever and now my account is under review??

Bit shocked to be honest in getting a notification from eBay a few days ago that my account was unable to make payments and was under review? I have a 100% seller/buyer rating and have been with eBay on this single account since 1999.

Frankly I thought it was a spam message, or my account was hacked. There is no real explanation, despite being linked to a totally un-helpful information page.

With no real explanation I am just thinking of closing the whole account. My whole inventory were personal items I was selling after buying lots over the previous 15, but 5 years ago I needed the funds so started selling. I really don't need to supplement my income anymore, so a closure and moving on would be a better solution to me.

But an explanation before I do this would help me feel less negatively against eBay when I leave.

23 years is a looooong time and the complexities of customer communication with faceless bots has been a big frustration of late, eBay is nothing like it used to be.

Thanks for reading.

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

It's because you haven't sold for over a year and then suddenly list high priced items.

You may need to fully update your account ,you may also wish to update yourself on the full details of Ebays MBG ,managed payments ,payment holds and appreciate fully the words "scam" ,"magnet" and "chargeback".

So much has changed since you last sold.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

@four_mid_able 

Thanks for such a speedy reply. But I have not suddenly listed anything, all my listings were put up 5 - 8 years ago and have just left to re-run on a minimal charge each month. Many have sold and eBay has made some very good money out of me over the years. All charges come out automatically and are paid immediately, so eBay stating something about charges is quite negative to me and very wrong.

Like I say, it's really time for me to leave, even more so as you say the whole platform has changed so much. I really don't need it, I just wanted an honest explanation from them, my 23 years with them deserves this at minimum.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Have you signed up for eBay's Managed Payments by adding a bank account and getting it verified?

If your listings have been running for 7 - 8 years just auto relisting you may not have done this, and that would trigger the message.

Once you’ve added your bank details, eBay will verify your account by paying  2 micropayments into your bank account. It usually takes 3-5 business days for this to happen and you then have to insert the values of the payments into eBay, the account is then verified and you can receive payments.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/getting-paid/registering-seller?id=4792#section3

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Thanks @*vyolla* it's like probably what @four_mid_able mentioned earlier, there is now a requirement for a bank account to be added. But I did do all this a couple of years ago, all my fees come off a Credit Card directly linked to my bank. But on Seller Hub I have just seen now that there is no Bank Account linked to a 'Seller Costs' section, so could this be it?

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Yes. 

You will need to register a bank account with a routing number (sort code) to be able to use the new eBay Managed Payments system. (Although debit cards are connected to a bank account, the long number on them can't be used for this.)

Your buyers will then be able to pay with Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and PayPal and your payments will be managed by eBay and the funds will be sent to your bank account, after the selling fees have been deducted.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

", I just wanted an honest explanation from them"

Ebay are a law unto themselves so you might not get a reason from them.

As for closing your account the Eagles song weighs that up well "You can check out but you can never leave"

Ebay keeps your account open until all sold items are well outside their guarantee period.

It took about 6 months for me to close an old account.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent