postage dictated then not allowed to charge actual price shown

I recently placed an item on auction. When it came to the postage section I chose a service from the drop down menu instead of using the eBay suggestion as this service was not suitable. The cost of my preferred service (U.K.ist class large letter, 500g, signed for) cost's £4.20 BUT ebay will only let me charge £3,50 even though they can see the cost . On top of it costing me more to send eBay take a percentage of this additional cost so i am further out of pocket. the item is cost is more than the compensation value offered by a lesser service (£50 against £20) in case of dispute.

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You could use RM tracked 48 for £3.45 with cover up to £150 included.  

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

This issue has been going on for years.

Most sellers just add the extra to the start price.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Hi

For reasons known to Ebay only some categories do have capped postage 😞

When this happens i just add the extra postage onto my starting price or include it in any  Buy It Now Price and offer free postage.

Ebay charge you fees on the total amount ......whether that includes free postage or not.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Seems silly when bidders look at the price first and compare other
start/bidded prices. I can understand eBay commission charges but not to
restrict an advirtised (and recommended service provers) price for said
service.
Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

It's a throwback to years ago when ebay didn't charge a fee on postage. Some sellers would load the postage price and lower the item price to minimise the fees that they paid. Ebay's response was to introduce postage caps. Fast forward many years and ebay have never increased the postage caps even though postage costs have, in some cases, more than doubled in that time. Also, ebay began charging fees on the whole amount years ago which rendered postage caps pointless and unnecessary. It has been requested before that ebay finally ditch these caps but they never do. So all you can do is increase the item price to cover it. 

Tagging katie@ebay dave@ebay marco@ebay to see if there is any chance of getting this dealt with once and for all.

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

You could use RM tracked 48 for £3.45 with cover up to £150 included.  

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

I agree ebay wont let me charge more than £9.50 and yet the postage is going to cost me £17.80

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
Got Postage related questions? Start here: