Royal Mail collection service

Morning everyone, 

When Royal Mail collects letters/parcels from your door do they provide proof of delivery?

I invested in a label machine and been popping my letters/large letters in the post box, but obvious down side to this I don't get proof of postage. 

On a side note if I can provide proof of postage over a disputed item that allegedly hasn't arrived, is it the buyers or sellers responsibility to raise this with Royal Mail?

Many thanks 

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Hi,

I regularly use the Royal Mail Tracked 48 hr small parcel service. The item is collected from your doorstep and you then receive an email, confirming collection....so proof of posting and proof of delivery.

I think they only offer proof of delivery for tracked/recorded delivery items.

As for items that haven't been received, but you have proof of posting. I've only ever had to refund once for this, and I claimed back the refund from the post office/Royal Mail.

I do know, however, that some sellers put the emphasis on the buyer to claim the refund. 

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

It is the sellers responsibility to take up any claim with Royal Mail or any courier for that matter. The carriers will not deal in general with the buyer, after all its not them that bought the service.

If you took your items to a post office they can scan the QR code on your items thus providing you a proof of posting, or better still you could support your local post office by taking your mail there for them to deal with.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Hey, 

The collection email you receive is that on everything or just the tracked items?

I will post anything over £20 tracked, but I sell a lot of low value so it's not worth it on most stuff. 

thanks 

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Thank you for the first part, but second part not so much.

I am fully aware that if i take my items to the post office i will get proof of postage, but unfortunately i have a full time job and don't have time to stand in a queue at my local post office for 30 mins+ on my lunch break. Maybe if they hired more staff and provided a quicker service I wouldn't need to print labels at home and walk to the post box which is 30 seconds down the road. 

If you know the answer to my question if the Royal Mail collection service provides proof of postage that would be most useful. 

thanks 

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

Hi,

I'm in a similar boat.....most of the items I sell are less than £20.

Honestly though, I've only ever used the doorstep collection for Tracked 48 small parcel, so I can't comment on normal letters/large letters. However, the fact that they are scanned on collection would perhaps give you proof of posting.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Hi seventhcards, thanks for your post.

I was trying to find an answer for this on Royal Mail's website but I couldn't find any clear information in order to confirm this. So, the best thing to do here would be contacting Royal Mail directly to ask them, as that'd be a service coming from them. However, please note that in case of any potential item not received case, we would need proof of delivery or attempt of delivery, as proof of postage wouldn't be sufficient. Also, as advised above by one of our mentors, it is the sellers responsibility to take up any claim with Royal Mail or any courier for that matter.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

My experience with Royal Mail on lost items is either the sender or recipient can claim but you need proof of postage and value & Royal Mail will only compensate one person. So if you paid the post and the other person claims you lose out.

As for their collection service, I only used that twice, both times items went missing. Not casting anything, I love my postie but that happened so even though I meet the postie often on the way to the PO and he offers to take the items I say thanks but no thanks.

It's also my experience that RM don't look for lost items anymore. They are happy to rely on their insurance service and hand out cheques to people. 

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

I am just debating whether to  start using use the RM collect service and was under the impression that when Royal Mail collected items from you they scanned the labels and that sent you a proof of posting by email but haven't used it yet. Ona separate issue what label printer are you using?? TIA

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Hey, I haven't tried the collection service yet, but it would make sense they emailed you if they scan the items on collection.

I use this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Omezizy-Bluetooth-Shipping-Printer-Wireless/dp/B0BX5WWCZK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=F...

Had it for around 2 months no issues at all with it and tbh only got it because it was on offer for prime members. Very easy to set up and use. Labels from Ebay are sized to 6x4 automtically. 

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Many thanks, I'll have a look at that.  I haven't had any collected yet, I've always taken them to the PO but did read on these boards that the postie scans when collecting them, triggering the POP by email. 

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent