Return Label Direct From Seller

I have started the returns process for an item I received which was not as described. I have a QR code sent by eBay, but the seller then sent me a message asking me not to use this as it is too costly for them, and sent me an image of a completed Royal Mail label to use instead. I'm not sure if this is genuine or not - has anyone else had this? (This happened at the weekend and I won't be able to get to the Post Office for a few days). 
Thanks. 

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

papso22
Experienced Mentor

What type of postage is the label they sent?  It needs to be tracked.

If it it is tracked, and accepted by the post office, then you would have to contact ebay to get that tracking entered in the case.

Seems like a lot of bother for a not as described return when you could just use the eBay label.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

If it is a really low cost item, the seller does have the choice of refunding you without a return.

Maybe I am a bit mean, but I would use the QR code - I think Ebay charge sellers about £3.50p for a tracked parcel up to 2kg which I would guess is what the QR code will cover.

It's not a fortune and tracking will be automatically added to the return case when you post.

The seller should have sent you the right item out first time.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Personally I would advise you to use the eBay returns label to return the item to the seller, regardless of any objections that the seller may have.  If you use eBay's own label the item will be tracked, and once the tracking proves successful or attempted delivery to the seller's address you would get your money back, even if you had to escalate the case to eBay in order to force a refund.  If, on the other hand, you used the seller's own label and this was not a tracked service then you would have no way to prove that the item had been returned to, and successfully received by, the seller and therefore you would more than likely lose out on your refund.

In summary use the eBay returns label that has been supplied for this purpose.  It is not up to the seller to dictate which type of label you use to return the item.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent