Package weight and dimensions.

Trying to list an item for the the first time, I'm stuck needing help with postage.

Where it says "Provide the package weight and dimensions to calculate the cost, or enter a fixed cost."

How do I provide the package weight and dimensions, I only have the box for entering a flat postage?

Any help would great, thanks.

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ebay charge 12.8% fees to private sellers. If you charge £13.99 then ebay will take 12.8% of that which is £1.79. £13.99-£1.79 is £12.20 which is what you want to receive.

For private sellers on 12.8% FVF, for any postage price, the formula to work out what you would need to charge is:

what to charge = postage price ÷ 0.872

Worked out like this: what to charge (we'll call that c) minus 12.8% of what to charge has to equal the postage price (we'll call that p) for you to break even.

So c - 0.128c = p

0.872c = p

c = p ÷ 0.872

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

To be honest it is never wise to rely on Ebays recommendations when it comes to trying to calculate postage because its not only the size of the item that needs to be taken into account its also the thickness and weight.  The postage calculator does have a tendancy to often be wrong.

In my opinion you are far better off going on Royal Mails site and using their calculator OR pick up the appropriate leaflet from your local Post Office.

Remember.....add a little bit to the stamp price because Ebay also charge you their fees on postage and packaging costs.

What is it you are trying to list as someone may be able to give you some idea of the postage cost....this obv depends on which carrier you use and the value of the item ?

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Search 'Seajay's Home' for an excellent UK/International guide to prices/sizes/weights allowed.

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

It's a large heavy item:

Weight: 16.95KG

Length: 69cm

Width: 26cm

Height: 54cm

I went to Parcelforce's site, who quoted for Express48 £12.20, which is what I was going to put for postage on the listing.

Do I need to add more to this price, for eBay fees?

Thanks for your help with this matter.

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Ebay charge 12.8% of the total including postage so you'd need to charge the buyer £13.99 postage to end up with £12.20.

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

How did you come up with the figure of £13.99?

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

Ebay charge 12.8% fees to private sellers. If you charge £13.99 then ebay will take 12.8% of that which is £1.79. £13.99-£1.79 is £12.20 which is what you want to receive.

For private sellers on 12.8% FVF, for any postage price, the formula to work out what you would need to charge is:

what to charge = postage price ÷ 0.872

Worked out like this: what to charge (we'll call that c) minus 12.8% of what to charge has to equal the postage price (we'll call that p) for you to break even.

So c - 0.128c = p

0.872c = p

c = p ÷ 0.872

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

I have the same issue, There is no way to add this information in the draft to calculate on the UK site. The US site DOES have it. Not sure why it states "add size and weight" when there is no way to!!!

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

I have issue posing a bike on ebay. The dimension is 174x22x88 weighing 22kg. Can anyone please help.

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

@trexuk wrote:

I have issue posing a bike on ebay. The dimension is 174x22x88 weighing 22kg. Can anyone please help.

You are offering free postage but it could be tens of pounds.  Are the bikes shipped fully built or as parts?  Some sellers are charging £20 for postage of a bike.

And you have royal mail 2nd class listed which is not viable for a bike.

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent
Got Postage related questions? Start here: