New Royal Mail rates from 2nd April

I have just seen sight of some of the price changes to Royal Mail from April this year. These are over the counter prices at post offices. Not sure if this info widely available yet but you get the inside scoop here!!

First and second class letter both rise by 10p to £1.35 and 85p respectively.

large letter rises from £1.95 (first) to £2.10

1st class small parcel rises from £4.19 to £4.59. 2nd class rises from £3.49 to £3.69.

signed for services on letters rises to £1.70 really important this coverage/compensation is being reduced to £20.

when I get more prices will add here.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Thanks @kempseykate  those snippets cam from my local postmaster! 

however post office look to be able to offer tracked 24 and 48 at last I am led to believe.

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Thank you for the info. @tommystrezures   The pdf with all the new prices is available here:

https://www.royalmail.com/prices2024

Second Class LL stamps are not going up.

Second Class LL Signed For is up 20p.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Some of the prices are going down.

LL second class going down 250g from £2.40 to £2.10 and 500g from £2.70 to £2.50, so not all bad news.

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

@tommystrezures wrote:

however post office look to be able to offer tracked 24 and 48 at last I am led to believe.

I wonder if you will now be able to use those services with postage stamps, as with Special Delivery, or whether they will still be printed label only. My guess is that they'll stay label only services.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Looking at the new prices in more detail, all Signed For post, including parcels, is now covered up to £20 only.

It makes Tracked 48 look very attractive with competitive prices and £150 cover.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

@rainbowtrax  I will of course let you know as that is how everything from here goes out with a mix of stamps and a label. It offsets my postage costs and also still supports our village post office as they get their fee for the label. 

The way the post office system works I would say presently it should be possible altho it may well be the larger blank labels we use for returns/Amazon parcels etc may mean otherwise due to additional info on the labels etc. 

personally I am now very tempted for the extra 20p on 1st class parcels to send it all tracked.

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

Thanks @tommystrezures, yes it's certainly heading towards tracked as standard being viable. If you could use stamps for Tracked 24 and Tracked 48, that could be quite a game changer for us.

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Odd those prices coming down. I do often send out 2nd Large letter (250g) which will drop to £2.10 which is the same prices as 1st Larger Letter 100g.

I am guessing I could just use a 1st Large stamp which has value of £2.10 but will go out 2nd class.

Could confuse customer though seeing this?

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

In that scenario you could just put in top left hand corner of envelope 2nd LL alleviates any confusion.

Edit to add this: Just remember though if you do do that, then you wouldn't get the 16 digit code from the post office label which confirms delivery etc and is suffice as 'tracking'.

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent