Can buyer send me invoice before paying so I can adjust the postage?

Hi All

I have a perpective buyer who wants next day delivery.  My listing for this item is just standard delivery.  Can he send me an invoice with this item on, so I can adjust the postage before he purchases?   Any advice would be great.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Easier for you to just add the option to the listing so buyer can choose the p+p option at checkout but you should maybe let them know the T's and C's of any postage option offered.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Provided you haven't got immediate payment required, you can send the buyer an invoice with the new postage on it, after they have hit the BIN or won the auction, whichever listing format it is. 

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Going forwards, the best way to proceed when listing any items that you are not listing as Collection In Person Only would be to set the listing up with a number of different postage options before you even submit the listing, ideally with tracking in case an eBay Item Not Received case is opened against you and you need the tracking details to prove successful delivery to the buyer's address to ensure that eBay close the case in your favour.  Possible options could include Royal Mail Second Class Signed For, Royal Mail First Class Signed For and Royal Mail Guaranteed Next Day Delivery By 1:00pm.  If you wish to sell to international buyers as well then you could also include an overseas postage option, such as Royal Mail International Tracked And Signed.

Should you decide to follow this advice you would then have a listing with postage options that offer potential buyers a number of postage options.  That way the buyer could just accept the standard Royal Mail Second Class Signed For option if he/she didn't need it too soon and/or didn't want to pay more in postage costs, although if the buyer needed the item sooner then he/she would also have either the Royal Mail First Class Signed For option or the Royal Mail Guaranteed Next Day Delivery By 1:00pm option to choose from.  By making these options available when setting up the listing you don't have to try and find a workaround option to make them available after the buyer has made his/her mind up to buy the item.

As far as I am aware there are no postage options that would allow an international buyer to upgrade to a faster postage option, although the various other postage options that I mentioned should cover you for any buyers within the United Kingdom who may wish to upgrade to a faster postage option.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Many sellers are not in a position to send every day, and have a set turnaround timeframe, in my case 3 days., although I usually post quicker. To offer a variety of postage options would not be viable.  In my near 20 years of selling on Ebay, I have only ever offered RM 2nd class, or by courier where necessary, and  it has never been a problem. I have near 5 star rating for delivery time. To offer multiple options is using a sledgehammer to carck a nut, if a buyer asks for a faster service it is easy to send a revised invoice.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent