Buyer selected a different (more expensive!) shipping options

I sold a very inexpensive item. I set the shipping option.

They buyer paid the tiny bid amount and the shipping option I selected. But they were able to select a DIFFERENT shipping option which costs more -- so now if I ship I'm actually out of pocket 2 quid?!

Can they do that? Is that an option -- the buyer can change the shipping method and eBay doesn't add it to the price??? I am seriously FUMING

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Buyers can only choose one of the postage options which you put on your listings. Your items all look like you have Evri as the delivery option. What have they chosen? 

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

They chose a different Evri service.

When I choose "standard drop off" , does that mean they can choose ANY Evri
service?

If they can choose, why isn't the amount charged adjusted accordingly?

The postage is originally calculated based on MY choice. If I choose Evri
"standard" ... eBay sets the amount.

How can theyet them choose a different service but not adjust the price??
Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

If your postage says Evri economy then that is what it is. and the buyer pays for the postage. You don't seem to have any other choices on your listings so I am not sure what you mean. As long as you post it and upload the tracking you will be ok.  

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Your last 2 items sold this week only have Evri at £2.94,there is no other option for the buyer to choose.

The only way the postage could be more is if the buyer lives in one of the Evri remote zones:

Highlands, Islands and Northern Ireland or Channel Islands

https://support-ebay.packlink.com/hc/en-gb/articles/209156905-eBay-Delivery-shipping-rates#h_01GFNPV...

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Good thinking. I bet this is what it is.

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Yep. That was it. WHY wouldn't the app adjust for that when bidding
closed, BEFORE calculating total cost to buyer?!?! Now I'm out the £3
Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Evri always apply a surcharge for Highlands, Islands and N Ireland. You could message your buyer and ask them if they mind you shipping with RM as the cost will be the same as any UK small parcel.

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

@blunakat2 wrote:
Yep. That was it. WHY wouldn't the app adjust for that when bidding
closed, BEFORE calculating total cost to buyer?!?! Now I'm out the £3

This is not possible, as buyer does not select the address the item will be sent to until bidding has ended, and they go to pay.

At the point of payment, they can choose the delivery address, which, if not sent by RM, will attract a surcharge for Highlands and Islands. 

If they had chosen to send the item to an address in England (or you had used Royal Mail to send the item), then there would not have been any surcharge. 

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

In postage settings you can make a rate chart, so that buyers from (some*) of the remote areas will see the higher charge you can make for these areas.

* Not all the postcode areas evri charge more for are covered by the rate tables. But as with many things on here, it's not a glitch, not an error and is working as it should 😞

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Consider this, then, a complaint and request for UI change. 

Surely there is some way for the app to ensure the buyer pays full price for the delivery option chosen.

If I offer "Evri Standard Drop Off" then the app should be able to calculate the shipping for the winning bidder and add that to final checkout price.

I'm fairly certain this is how it works on US site. (As postage is usually calculated zip code > zip code. Never pre-set amount.)

I would have preferred losing the bidder to losing the money...as at least it wouldn't also waste my time. 🤬

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Hello – I've just had the same thing happen to me. My postage option on the listing was Evri standard £2.94 – but because my buyer lives in N Ireland I have to pay £5.46 to send it to them. But the buyer has only paid the £2.94 – so I'm down £2.52.

I'm sure somewhere in the T&Cs it says it's my responsibility to check, but this seems unfair. Surely Ebay can figure out how to make sure the buyer pays the correct amount.

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

@masterhodge wrote:

Hello – I've just had the same thing happen to me. My postage option on the listing was Evri standard £2.94 – but because my buyer lives in N Ireland I have to pay £5.46 to send it to them. But the buyer has only paid the £2.94 – so I'm down £2.52.

I'm sure somewhere in the T&Cs it says it's my responsibility to check, but this seems unfair. Surely Ebay can figure out how to make sure the buyer pays the correct amount.

You could send it by Royal Mail who don't add a surcharge to Northern Island..

But tell the buyer first.

2nd class 2kg small parcel costs £3.19 online and although not tracked it will show as delivered if the postie remembers to scan it.

Or tracked 48 costs £3.39 with free collection by you postie.

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent