Buyer received a different parcel

Hello. 

I sold my new Converse trainers on eBay but the buyer received a different item (parking sensors) in different packaging. It looks like my label was taken off from my parcel and placed on a different person's parcel and delivered to the buyer. Does anyone know what I can do? I think Royal Mail stole my parcel.

Thank you

Screenshot_20240417_104838_eBay.jpg

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I doubt it was stolen, more like the label came off and stuck back on the wrong parcel which means that your parcel should if you included a return address should eventually get back to you.  At least that is what should happen but don't hang your hat on it.

The item that your customer received is valued at around £45 retail - get it returned to you and either refund or send replacement to customer via ebay.

When the sensors arrive if you cannot identify the sender who has also lost out - you can sell them and recover some cost.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

I doubt it was stolen, more like the label came off and stuck back on the wrong parcel which means that your parcel should if you included a return address should eventually get back to you.  At least that is what should happen but don't hang your hat on it.

The item that your customer received is valued at around £45 retail - get it returned to you and either refund or send replacement to customer via ebay.

When the sensors arrive if you cannot identify the sender who has also lost out - you can sell them and recover some cost.

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

You may also be able to claim the loss from Royal Mail who may want the incorrect item returned ?

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Thank you all. I contacted eBay and they refunded the buyer themselves so I did not lose any money.

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Great solution by Ebay - courtesy refund - everyone happy and the customer gets free sensors !

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

@dch2112011 wrote:

Great solution by Ebay - courtesy refund - everyone happy and the customer gets free sensors !

I doubt the person expecting the sensor is happy.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Who knows they might have got the trainers and loved them !  and ebay made them a courtesy refund as well or the recipient looked under the label and forwarded the sensors to them, perhaps you could ask them ?

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

@dch2112011 wrote:

Who knows they might have got the trainers and loved them !  and ebay made them a courtesy refund as well or the recipient looked under the label and forwarded the sensors to them, perhaps you could ask them ?

As the trainers label got stuck to the sensor parcel I don't think the person who ordered it got anything.

Plus the sensor might not have been bought on eBay.

A seller somewhere will be be having a headache about this.

Other than that I'm sure everythings fine.😁

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

No idea your guess is as good as mine !  

But as far as the known ebay seller and buyer - ebay gave them both the best solution they possibly could in the circumstances - Ebay looked after their members in this instance - Yes it does happen !

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

@jean.0208 wrote:

Hello. 

I sold my new Converse trainers on eBay but the buyer received a different item (parking sensors) in different packaging. It looks like my label was taken off from my parcel and placed on a different person's parcel and delivered to the buyer. Does anyone know what I can do? I think Royal Mail stole my parcel.

Thank you

Although this piece of advice won't help with regards to the transaction that resulted in you starting this thread, it may well be useful for future sales so as to prevent a recurrence of the problem:

If you have any concerns about the label coming off of the parcel, get yourself a big roll of Sellotape measuring 2" across.  (A roll measuring 2" across is better than a roll of Sellotape measuring 1" across as that way you won't need to use as many strips of Sellotape for the job.)

Once you've stuck the postage labels onto the parcels that you're due to post out, stick strips of Sellotape right the way across the postage labels, covering all four sides of each label completely.  Do the same with the bit on the reverse of the parcel where you've written "If undelivered please return to..."  That way there's less chance that the label will come off during transit, and in the event that the postman has to deliver the parcel when it's lashing down with rain it should also prevent the water from smudging the label and making the address illegible, thus doing away with the problem of the postman being unable to deliver the parcel due to the label ending up becoming completely illegible as a result of getting badly soaked with rainwater.

If you decide to go one step further with this option and stick Sellotape right the way across all six sides of the box that you've enclosed the item in then the paper won't get wet and soggy, thus eliminating the risk of the cardboard becoming weak enough to get ripped in transit and revealing the item inside.  It might make the parcel a bit of a pig to open when the buyer receives the item, but given that it will add another layer of protection to the parcel by making it waterproof (as well as stopping prying fingers from trying to open it in transit) then I shouldn't think the buyer will mind too much, so long as he/she receives the correct item and it hasn't become damaged in transit.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

"Buyer SAYS they received a different parcel".

Ooh i'm sooooo cynical nowadays 🙄
Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent