Seller - rasist from Wolverhampton , United Kingdom

Hello.

It's very strange situation . I'd like to buy item today , contact the seller for more information . He was selling racks and only wanted to do pickup from his city. OK. Then he set the condition that this should be within 48 hours after purchase. Although there were no such conditions in his announcement. I replied that I would try to find a courier and pick up the goods in time. Then he said that in his opinion I did not need this product and in general he did not expect that someone from afar would be interested. I explained why I was interested in his product and that this is an international global platform and there are no divisions or restrictions for any countries or buyers from different countries. Then he began to say that the goods were disassembled into parts and were not packed in a box. And come up with various other reasons. But I don’t understand how he was going to give it away in parts and without a box, especially when he set the condition to pick it up within 48 hours. I spent the whole day looking for a courier and negotiating fast delivery. And the most surprising thing for me is that I succeeded. Although his town is not a popular route at all. The seller, instead of specific answers such as what size the box is and what the approximate weight of the goods, discussed the topic that “if someone came from you and took it away, perhaps this item is for you.” And at the very last moment, the seller simply blocked me without explanation, I could not participate in his auction and could not buy the item at full price. Someone else made one bid, but the reserve was not reached. The seller was confused, ignored questions, answered only with his own reasoning and decided for me “whether I need it or not” and then simply blocked me. I regret that I didn’t click “buy” right away. At least I could leave a review so that others know what kind of seller this is and who they are dealing with. The seller will decide for you whether you need it or not, will set many conditions for the purchase, will come up with new reasons, take up your time, and then block you because “someone from your region” is from afar and you do not meet expectations, this is not so how he imagined it. Because he prefers local buyers.

Please tell me , is this normal on a global international platform  like ebay is ? This is disrespect and neglect.

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Sellers are given the ability by eBay to block potential buyers.  They decided to block you, you just have to accept that. 

I imagine they thought you were turning what should have been a simple sale with collection by the buyer in person (not a courier), into something much too complicated, so they decided not to sell to you.  Collection items are meant to be for local buyers and sellers do not expect to have to pack them as they would for a courier, particularly an international courier.

You were the one initially trying to dictate the terms of sale.

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

I think you have over thought this and have misinterpreted the seller's motivations.

They listed an item as collection only.  When a seller lists such an item, they woud fully expect the buyer to come along personally, inspect the item, pack it safely in their own vehicle and take it away.

Having to deal with a courier, and yourself via messages, began to give the seller all sorts of issues.  They may have had concerns about the safe transportation and delivery of the item, not realising that, if you sent a courier, you would automatically lose your right to return the item using the Money Back Guarantee.

Did you expect them to weigh the item and source a box for it?

Clearly they did not want to do this.

At no point did you place a bid on the item or buy it outright.  The seller possibly believed you were simply wasting their time.

The seller has chosen not to sell to you.  He has not neglected or disrespected you.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

There is no evidence at all to suggest that this seller was "racist".

With respect, you clearly don't understand the situation when items are sold for colletion. Sellers sell items for collection because they don't want the hassle of weighing and packing large or awkward items. There are many other potential problems for sellers with courier collection, even for delivery within the UK. The idea of collection in person is that the driver arrives in his own transport, pays and takes it away.

Your argument that eBay is an "international global platform and there are no divisions or restrictions for any countries" is out of contaxt. Sellers can choose whether to sell to buyers in other countries, or to limit sales to the UK only. Sellers are entitled to block bids from buyers in any country they do not deliver to. When an item is sold for collection in person, the expectation is that the buyer will be local. Most sellers would block a buyer registered in the Ukraine from bidding. Particularly one who was so assertive about their "rights" and seemed to dismiss anything the seller tried to exlain about the difficulties.

Good luck, I hope that you find the item you are looking for from another seller. If it helps, the best answer to your problem would if possible be to get a friend or family member in the UK to buy and collect the item, then ship it themselves to the Ukraine.

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

1 209 / 5 000

Результаты перевода

Перевод

That's exactly how it was. Before clicking the “buy” button, I contacted the seller and asked what the conditions, and he told me exactly what he wanted. I didn't try to act on my own. The seller set conditions and I followed these conditions. Yes, I found a courier who was ready to come to the address in his own transport and pick up the goods . That is, there was absolutely no difference in comfort for the seller, everything was the same as with a local resident.  But the seller had conversations with me in which there was no clear position, the point was that if I fulfill the requirements, then he would not mind selling! that is the question . But in fact, I just wasted time on empty chatter. Of course, it's all about the ability to negotiate, then no boundaries are an obstacle. But for this you need to have mutual respect. And that's what was missing. Believe me, this is not the first year I have been communicating on this platform with different people from different countries. When there is mutual respect, everything can be agreed upon. Even a refusal to sell can be valid if the reason is objective and understandable to both parties. I'm talking about completely different things. Thanks for your reply. 
Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

To be honest, I did not expect at all that the seller would take an active part in the sale of his goods, look for a box or scales. But I was counting on normal human communication. Such as here, right now . Just state position clearly. The seller said that he could sell it, he gave the go-ahead , otherwise I would not have looked for a courier, but in fact , it was like a game on his part. That is the question. Thanks for your reply.

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

yes, I understand very well what you are talking about. It may be impossible to understand the nuances from my message, but all these points that you talk about were taken into account. In other words, “I will not come where I was not invited,” and even more so, do something at my own discretion , unilaterally . This situation is much more subtle than it might seem at first glance. I quote “Press the buy button if you pick up the item within 48 hours, if later, please do not click.” This, by the way, is the answer to the commentator above, why I did not buy the product immediately.
Further ...
“The product is spread out in my bathroom and has been stored there for a year, the parts are lost, they need to be looked for,” etc.
The advertisement indicated a meeting near the railway station in "free Del" .  I couldn’t connect even these three facts, but there were many more such facts. 48 hours, goods laid out in the bathroom with parts partially lost, meeting at the railway station in free Del .
Ok, maybe someone will say, my English is not good enough, and I didn’t understand everything correctly . Nevertheless, I double-checked myself . 

Thank you .

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

Let me add the most important thing. Since I started this conversation. Probably the first thing that appears to you in this story are the characters. Most likely, the seller is a lady of respectable age or a gray-haired gentleman who simply does not need the extra hassle and uneducated Ukrainian woman who does not understand anything and does not take anyone into account, but does everything in her own way and only causes mistrust.
But in reality everything is completely different, the seller is a young, quite healthy-looking guy, with a fashionable hairstyle (he has a photo on ebay), who can stand up for himself, and who behaved frivolously, did not want to cooperate or even just be consistent in his own words and actions, he seemed to be having fun. He has only a few deals on ebay over the years. In response to my specific questions, such as about the dimensions, among other things, he asked in the style of “why,  do you still need some kind of furniture from there?” How to understand this? "We're from there," "still." Difficulties in translation? Maybe , OK.
But firstly, I could be in any country now , the place of registration on ebay is not the location, right? I could be in a neighboring city. Moreover, now Ukrainians are scattered all over the world, many not of their own free will. Secondly, I stay in Ukraine consciously, get a second higher education, a master’s degree, work on my projects and don’t ask anyone for anything.
I was very attentive with the seller and did not try to cause anyone any unnecessary trouble. Despite the controversial statements addressed to me, I tried to cooperate and come to an any agreement. But this was not the case when this was possible. And the reasons are all listed above. No respect .
I realized my mistakes and drew conclusions. Thank you very much for your time , kind responses and attention to this issue.

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Thanks for replying - and your English is very good!

I'm very sorry, but I don't think there's anything further we can say to help you. The fact is that the seller was entitled under eBay's rules to block you from bidding.

My point was simply that you shouldn't assume that the seller was being "racist". When items are sold for collection in person it's normally expected that the buyer will arrive with their own transport and collect it. Many sellers refuse to accept courier collections, even for delivery within the UK. I think almost all sellers would refuse to accept courier collection for delivery to the Ukraine. You may not be aware that because the seller has no tracking proof of delivery they are exposed to the risk of a fraudulent chargeback.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you manage to find the item you are looking for elsewhere.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

You title has the word 'rasist' in it - do you mean 'racist' - if so, can you explain how the seller was racist (you seem to have left that bit out). 

If the seller has sent you messages of a racist nature this would be a Police matter.

Unless there is more to this that you've left out, it looks to me like your seller is just being really awkward and doesn't want to allow courier pick up after all, in which case I'd just find another seller.

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent