Royal Mail demanding postage for delivered item apparently minus its label

Can anyone tell me who is responsible for refunding a customer who says they have had to pay for postage because the label is missing. I have proof of posting. Ebay are withholding my money but the item has been delivered. this is the second time the post label has come off. the first time the customer said they had no intention od asking me for a refund. this time the customer is demanding it. I expect ebay will not release funds until I give a refund. Grosslu unfair.

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

papso22
Experienced Mentor

You don't have to refund for the item if it's been delivered.

If the buyer gives you evidence of the extra charge,  you should do a part refund of the charge. 

You can try claiming that back from RM.

Sounds like whoever is sticking the labels on isn't doing it properly.

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

For what is the buyer demanding a refund?

They're not entitled to a full refund for the item if it's been delivered. However, if there is no tracking proof of delivery because the label fell off eBay would automatically support them if they dishonestly claim a refund under eBay's money back guarantee.

If there was extra postage to pay because the label had fallen off the buyer could have refused to pay this and the item would have been returned to you. If they did pay it, IMO it would be reasonable for you to refund this, and then try to claim compensation through the PO. You may be able to do this if your postal receipt shows that you paid the correct postage, and the buyer sends you their receipt for the excess charge.

Are you perhaps using a wrapping paper to which sticky labels don't adhere well?

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

The buyer lied to ebay about the delivery and ebay refunded them. I now have no proof for RM as the buyer will not send it to me. Marvelous. They got a free DVD.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

If you have proof of posting get in touch with Royal Mail Customer Service FREEPOST Plymouth [by letter obviously] and make one almighty fuss!

In future make 100% certain that the label is on properly!

I am assuming that - although buyer "lied" - you did not use a tracked service which would prove delivery.

@purpuraphile 

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

IF the label had fallen off then the buyer would have received a grey card through their door, with a fee to pay. Which if no label would have been I guess £5 for a DVD (if sent as a large letter). In theory the buyer should have contacted you at this point before paying to advise you of the situation.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Thank you. I have proof of posting. I can't make sure a label is attached securely as I don't attach it, the postmaster does that. I have told her about this.

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

In addition to ebay giving the buyer a full refund for an item they have received (ebay can see the correspondence so must know the buyer has the item) I can find no way to appeal this. 

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent