Items not insured by courier

Hi All, Really need some advice quick. I have recently sold a watch on ebay but when I read the couriers T&C's it specifically states that prohibited items are not covered by the insurance (despite paying £75 to ebay for this extra cover). It states that if lost or stolen I would not be covered. So I imagine the buyer would get refunded, ebay would take their fee, the courier would keep their £75 but I would be left with nothing. How can this be right? I am now left with no option but to cancel my order and ebay still take their fee! Any advice welcome.

Regards. Matt

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Advice would be never buy postage through Ebay's broker, go straight to the couriers website.   That way you can ensure you can get the right level of cover, if indeed cover is available at all.

Generally speaking RM is better for valuables.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

It's difficult to comment without seeing the ful t&c.  For example, if an item is prohibited from carriage no amount of insurance would cover it.

It seems unlikely that watches are prohibited, but carriers often list items that are allowed, but won't be protected against loss or damage - which is likely to include valuables. But this restriction can often be lifted by selecting an option for insurance. Is it possible that you misread the t&c?

In any case, as papso22 pointed out, why buy a delivery service through eBay? Even if an item is covered, this makes the procedure to claim more complicated. Personally, if anything is of sufficient value to be worth insuring I'd always use RM special delivery. But whatever service you use, always check the t&c.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent