Item arrived damaged

Hello, can somebody advise me please. I`m registered as a private seller. I sold an ornament on 23/04/24 and packed it all securely and covered it in bubble wrap but the buyer contacted me today to say the item arrived broken into 3 pieces and provided a photo of damage. Evri delivered the item. I tried to contact Evri today but they are now closed. I never had a damaged item case before so not sure what I do in this case. I have also emailed ebay. I couldn`t find a phone number to call. What would be my next steps please? Do I deal directly with Evri or through Ebay? What should the buyer do in this case?  I don`t particularly want to pay for the broken item delivered back to me. Do I refund the buyer in full? Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Item arrived damaged

plum993
Experienced Mentor

The buyer should open a return request with ebay for a full refund,and in the case details it will ask if you want the item back or not.,and refunding the buyer this way will give you a part refund of the fvf.

You will find that evri do not pay out on any claims for broken ceramics,so you can claim for the loss.

What You Can & Can't Send by Courier | Evri

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Item arrived damaged

Thank you for your message. Apologies, what do you mean by fvf please? It was a resin sculpture so I can`t claim for the loss? Thanks

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Item arrived damaged

Sorry,ebay Final Value Fee (FVF), the fees they charge when you sell an item to include postage costs.

I wouldn't think you can claim from evri, worth a try if you want to, but there claims process is pretty long winded and hard to get,to be fair!!!

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Item arrived damaged

Thank you, can I please clarify if the buyer doesn`t  open a case (a return request) and I simply refund in full  before or without the case being opened- do I not get a part refund of the final value fees? Simply put, is it better for me as a seller with or without the case being opened. It seems to me that a case against me has a negative impact? Many thanks

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Item arrived damaged

Cases opened and dealt with by seller voluntarily do not damage sellers reputation.

You can avoid this by refunding, but you have to choose a reason, the most appropriate one being "buyers request", which automatically creates refund, incorporating a refund of the selling fee.

You only end up refunding the net amount you received, ebay adds on the selling fee making up thefull refund. Of course you lose money on the transaction as you have paid for original postage, but have saved by not paying to have item returned.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Item arrived damaged

Opened cases by buyers don't affect your account if you resolve the buyers issue, before a buyer escalates the case to ebay to deal with.

You can also refund the buyer yourself if no cases have been opened upto 90 days.Once refunded the buyer isn't expected to return the item!

1. Find the order in Seller Hub or My eBay Sold.
  2. From the dropdown menu, select Send refund.
  3. Choose a reason for the refund.
  4. Specify a refund amount for the item or for the order.
  5. Enter the refund amount, and select Send refund.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent