Fake items

Over an average year, I would say that I receive 30% fake, copies, poorer quality, damaged items than the ones in the photos in the listing. I used to phone ebay and report the problem, but nothing ever really happened. The seller would still carry on selling their dodgy products. I realise that I can send them back for a refund (this uses up my time not eBay's). The thing is most people don't complain, to busy, can be bothered or the process is beyond their skills etc.... so the seller will continue selling s**t, because they get away with it. Even though it goes straight into landfill. EBay needs to sort this out as it's responsible for thousands of tonnes of *bleep* which they have made money on polluting this planet!!!!

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Fake items

People don't need to complain.  That takes time too.

If you receive a faulty or otherwise unacceptable item it should be returned at the seller's expense and you should leave appropriate, negative feedback.

Having a high percentage of returns does impact a seller's account.

Having to pay to get returns back and losing out on the postage paid to send the item to you, impacts their pocket.

Receiving negative feedback warns other sellers and affects the seller's account.

If you follow this process every time, the seller is not 'getting away with it'.

Ebay will never act against a seller on the basis of one or two complaints.

Multiple returns and lots of negative feedback - eventually, a seller will be off the site.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Fake items

Unfortunately,  with any online selling platform it can be a magnet to sell fake items,  as these cannot be physically checked , unless going through eBay's new Authentication process which is not available for all products.

Not sure who you are phoning at eBay or how,  as there is no phone number for eBay Customer Services,  their contact is  a Live Chat and sometimes there's a Call Back option to select.

However,  Bay will not act on any message received of a fake, as said they cannot see the item,  and these reports do sometimes come from disgrunteled buyers,  or even competitors selling the same item.

It does seem harsh,  as you are wishing to do good ,informing of a fake item,  but to do so effectively,  buyers on receipt of these fakes need to open cases for item not as descibed.  If eBay receive more of the same case against a seller,  it raises red flags,  the items and most probably the seller will be removed permanently.

Cases are very effective. 

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Fake items

plum993
Experienced Mentor

Start leaving the relevant feedback for sellers who sell items that are not as described, in the way you describe in your post,as it warns other potential buyers,and a seller can only leave a buyer good feedback as ebay did away with the option to leave negative or neutral,so sellers can leave retalitory fb.

Obviously you can't use the word fake ect in feedback or it can be removed.

Also note there is a report option on every listing a member can use if they see a listing that breaks listing policies,so no need to phone ebay.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Fake items

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

" EBay needs to sort this out"

Whoever you phoned would look at your account and see what we see on your feedback profile - never had a bad transaction.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Fake items

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

EBay needs to sort this out

But what have YOU done to help protect other buyers?

You've received almost 900 feedbacks as a buyer, but have left fewer than 50 for your sellers, and never a negative. In fact, you have left no feedback at all for over a year.

Frankly, I'm amazed that you still buy on eBay if 30% of your purchases are fake, copies, poorer quality or damaged. But if you do, you could at least leave appropriate feedback to warn other buyers. And while you're at it, why not also leave positive feedback for good sellers, to help buyers know that you had a good experience.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent