Does eBay have the right to pass on my phone number to a seller?

I have received a very 'chatty' text message from a seller, promoting their shop.  Although I have blocked the number, I have never had this before.  I cant see where eBay has the authority to share my number, and how to decline assumed consent to stop it happening again.

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

plum993
Experienced Mentor

I take it it was not a call from a seller you have been in a transaction with?

If no then the seller has breached ebay privacey policies as sellers  are not allowed to pass on a buyers contact details.

You can either report the seller for a breach of contact details here Report an issue with a seller | eBay,

or you could contact ebay here,https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

Weekdays: 8 am-10pm
Weekends: 9 am-6pm.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

How do you know it was eBay who gave the seller your phone number?

It's unlikely that eBay would have disclosed your contact details to a seller, unless you have been in a recent transcation with tem. This would be contrary to their privacy policy, which they apply strictly.

If you've ever bought from or sold anything to this seller you probably have your answer. They may have more than one account on eBay, in which case you may never know who was responsible.

If a seller spams you through eBay messages this is reportable to eBay. But phone calls and texts are beyond eBay's control and there's no point in reporting it.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

When you buy anything on Ebay, the seller is given your registered phone number along with your other contact details.

Some sellers are likely to use this for marketing purposes.

You can always block their number.

I am not sure you can withdraw consent to this (sellers having access to your phone number, rather than them sending you marketing texts) - if it is part of the user agreement, then you agree to all of the terms and conditions by using Ebay.

Happy to be corrected on this last point if any other mentors know different?

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

I also don't think you can stop sellers being given your phone number that is registered on the site, but they should only use it in connection with the actual sale the buyer was involved in at the time.

Any other use would almost certainly be in breach of the GDPRs as the buyer would not have agreed to the number being used for marketing, either by that seller, or any other that they pass it to.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

@papso22 

I completely agree.  In 20 years on Ebay, I have never rung a buyer.  I feel it would be quite intrusive.  In an emergency, if they didn't respond to a message and I was desperate to get in touch, I might possibly send a text.   Maybe.  But I have never even done that.

So, questions for dave@ebay 

Is there any way a buyer can withhold their number so sellers don't have access to it?

Would Ebay take action if a buyer received a marketing text from a seller to whom Ebay had given their number? 

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent