CE Mark

I received this message from Ebay for an item I bought in October,  The supplier seems a little indifferent about doing anything about it what should I do.  Basically the item does not have CE apptoval.

"We take product safety very seriously. We’re reaching out to you because an item you purchased may have been recalled or pose a safety hazard. We recommend that you stop using this product. If you have questions about the item(s), please reach out to the seller or the manufacturer. Item details are listed below. "

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

CE Mark

You do  not say what this item is,   and if you have used it safely to date.

If at all worried,  there must a manufacturer's mark on the item send them an email ,  to explain the issue they have found with the item,   and if it's safe to carry on using.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

CE Mark

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Basically all eBay does is warn you, they have no responsibility for the safety of the item or what happens next.

You could try your funding source for help, if the value is significant.  

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

CE Mark

You are too late to get a return/refund through Ebay so what you do next is up to you.

If it was an electrical item/a safety device (e.g. a carbon monoxide alarm)/being used by a child/a charger etc. personally, I would bin it.

I don't know if Trading Standards would be interested or if Citizens Advice would be able to help in this case.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

CE Mark

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

The ball is in your side of the court now.

All eBay will do is pass on this warning. As it was bought over 30 days ago eBay will not get involved.

In theory, your seller should sort this out for you. In practice, many sellers on eBay don't want to know about after-sales service. It sounds as though this is a cheap Chinese import, which increases the likelihood that the seller won't help, or probably even reply.

If no success, just throw it away - and smash it first, so that no-one can salvage it. When things go wrong you realise that buying from unknown sellers on eBay in NOT like buying from the shops.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

CE Mark

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

On the subject of the CE mark, look for the genuine CE mark on the left, and watch out for the "Chinese Export" mark on the right.

Some suggest that the Chinese mark is intended to fool buyers into thinking it's a conformity marking. But we all know that sellers in China would never trick buyers in this way.

red_magpie_1-1711800514397.png

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent