Buyer opened a case and got refund but hasn't returned items

I sold some items last year - the buyer tried to claim they were bootleg items (they were not) and asked for a refund.  I refused, largely out of annoyance at being accused of a scammer.  they opened a case which they obviously won as Ebay fails to protect sellers and got a full refund.  They have never returned the items despite my sending a new postage label - they won't even respond to messages.  I reported to Ebay numerous times and received no response and eventually called them to be told to take civil action against the buyer as there is nothing they can do.  I can't find anything in ebay policies where it states that the uyer has to return the item - surely this can't be right?  I'm a private seller and can't afford to be so massively out of pocket after a refund and losing the items as well.  Any info greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Sellers must accept returns for items that the buyer claims to not be as described, and issue a pre-paid eBay returns label if they want their item back.

If the buyer escalates the claim to ask eBay to step in, eBay may just refund them.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

The relevant section from the MBG terms and conditions is:

If we determine that the seller did not meet their return requirements:

• The buyer will receive a refund for the full cost of the item and original postage, and
  • The seller will be required to reimburse eBay for the amount of the refund, and
  • The buyer may not be required to return the item

From here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee?id=4...

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

"I sold some items last year" 

There's no way the buyer could open and win an eBay case in the last couple of months.

Exactly what happened and on what dates?

This sounds like a payment provider/payment dispute  case.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent