Business sellers: Automatic returns

Heads up for business selllers.

I've recently moved over from Amazon to sell more on ebay. One of the reasons I did this was because I thought ebay weren't so ridiculous on customer returns.

I set my returns policy as 30 days and returns accepted if the item was returned in its original packaging (unused) or it was faulty. As a business seller apparently you HAVE to accept returns for any reason and they will be automatically accpeted.

So, I've jiust had to refund a £600 order because the buyer 'didn't like it'!

Customer Service said as a seller I will benefit through a 10% reduction in fees....how long is it going to take to make £600 back via a 10% reduction in fees?

Back to Amazon I go where at least the traffic is much greater

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

@continuous-value-limited wrote:

As a business seller apparently you HAVE to accept returns for any reason and they will be automatically accpeted.

This is a requirement under current UK (and EU) consumer regs - no matter what online platform you're selling on, as a business seller you're required to accept returns (including change of mind ones).

Are you saying that Amazon don't require you to accept returns?

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

As a business seller apparently you HAVE to accept returns for any reason

Correct. It has nothing to do with eBay, or Amazon. Like it or not it's it's the law for online sales. For change of mind returns you can require the buyer to pay the return postage - but you can't insist on items being in their original packaging.

As a business seller, were you not aware of the consumer contracts regulations? If not, there's plenty of information online.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent