heather-and-tess
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

Has anyone had trouble with items not being delivered to Italy. I've had 2 paypal claims against me from italians claiming the item was not delivered, Royal mail doesn't do airsure to Italy and international signed for only says handed over to italian postal services. Paypal will not accept proof of postage from the post office only a tracking no. is the only alternative not to send to Italy.
Please use plain text.
pillarboxred
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

in reply to heather-and-tess
Claim against the Post Office. Italy is a very dangerous place to send to and I think the Royal Mail must eventually stop offering insured trackable services to Italy as they must be losing fortunes.
It will take 3 months for the PO to sort it out but they will cough up if they can't locate your insured tracked items.

I wish we could bar more individual countries from our auctions.
Please use plain text.
pillarboxred
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

If PayPal refunds your buyers you can mark the items as unpaid in your My eBay. This warns eBay those buyers might be risky and even bar them if they have made too many claims already.
Please use plain text.
m.garriock
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

Surprising! I send quite a few items to Italy and have never had the slightest problem. Spain, on the other hand, just don't ask.... :-(

If the items you're selling are of under £32.00 value including shipping it's really not worth faffing around with PayPal and Airsure/International Recorded. Just get a free Certificate of Posting from the Post Office when you ship the item, if the buyer claims non-delivery simply make a claim for it's value with Royal Mail. They're not obliged to pay out I know, but I've never had them decline a claim yet.
Please use plain text.
heatheres
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

The Italian Postal service has a web site available in English - http://www.poste.it/en/ - or email info@posteitaliane.it - why not ask them if they have a track & trace or can confirm it arrival. Once a signed for package is passed to the receiving country it is usually trackable on their own web site. I certainly check for parcels arival in other countries using this method, most of which have an English option. I don't know why Spain should be a problem - I live there and have never had a problem either sending or receiving mail. You can check delivery for signed for packages on www.correos.es.
Please use plain text.
davidoricardo
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

Going to have to agree with the Italian problems. I am now refusing to sell to Italy as things seem to be getting worse and, of course, you don't know who is telling the truth or if it is their postal authorities.
Please use plain text.
no_more_mr-nice_guy
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

Poste Italiane is legendary. I've never heard anyone who's lived in Italy for any time complain about Royal Mail. It's not just stuff going into Italy, it's internal stuff and stuff coming out.

We don't advise you to post anything of value in Italy actually - it's unlikely to reach its destination intact, if at all, even inland, let alone international post. from http://www.romebuddy.com/givesadvice/publicservices.html

Everyone reckons it's getting more efficient these days though and I've not had any problems sending stuff there but it is still the worst postal delivery system in Western Europe.
The post offices themselves are another matter entirely. If you're in Italy and don't speak the language, don't even bother trying to enter one. This lady sums up the experience quite nicely!

http://www.slowtrav.com/valerie/italy_post_office.htm
Please use plain text.
trixee001
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

I have recently received a parcel from the UK, containing a very expensive Spike action figure (88 quid!) and it arrived safe and sound, and quite fast. None of my Buffy/Angel/Spike comics coming from England was ever lost, even if they didn't travel insured or signed for. The only time I didn't get a parcel, the English lady got 8 negs after I bought from her, for not delivering her items (and I got a full refund thru' Paypal, do you think I cheated?). As for delivery times, I send clippings worldwide, and look at my feedback, the most common comment I get is fast/quick/lightening speed delivery!!!
I spent 2 years living in London, and when I got there in 1982 I was amazed at how civilized offices and people were. But when I read articles in the press that are just made to make a country look like it's run by cavemen (and there have been recently, ...I wonder what has happened with Italy recently...no, wait - I know) it just make me sad. I know that there's a lot of room for improvement over here, but there are excellent buyers in Italy, and I should know, cause I pride myself to be one of them.
Please use plain text.
longrangelogistics
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

It's strange, but since moving our shop inventory to eBay US (to save listing fees) we've had a spate of Italian, Greek, and Cypriot buyers hitting us with chargebacks and INR disputes across all our IDs

We're now having to pay Square Trade to remove dishonest feedback left for us by NPBs from the same countries.

They're attrocious and unbelievably abusive in emails - we're thinking of stopping sales to all of Europe so we don't have to deal with those 3 countries.

Gaz -----

More smells than your nose knows what to do with

Please use plain text.
saddler10
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

Just like to add that I have had many problems posting to Italy, mainly CD's. Infact, I have sent one in the last few days and am almost resigned to the fact that it won't arrive! Also, an occasion recently where my item did reach it's destination in Italy it arrived damaged. I seem to be able to deliver anywhere in the world without these problems.
Please use plain text.
priced4me
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

heather-and-tess wrote: ... Has anyone had trouble with items not being delivered to Italy. I've had 2 paypal claims against me from italians claiming the item was not delivered, Royal mail doesn't do airsure to Italy and international signed for only says handed over to italian postal services. Paypal will not accept proof of postage from the post office only a tracking no. is the only alternative not to send to Italy.

There is another alternative (other than not shipping to Italy). You can accept payment from Italian customers via BIC + IBAN bank transfer (it's free for most UK bank accounts) and you can continue to ship to Italy without danger of PayPal claims for item was not delivered. BIC + IBAN details are on your bank statement and most bank transfers from the EU are credited within a few business days. Note that to be received free of bank charges, incoming transfers must be sent in Euros with Shared costs selected. Ask your local bank for details. :-)

Check my About Me page for free UK PayPal + eBay Fee Calculators and for all international eBay sites. Compare eBay and PayPal fees internationally to find the cheapest, reverse eBay fee calculators, listing pricing strategies, free BIC+IBAN bank transfers and UK bank transfers, plus much more.

Check my About Me page for free UK PayPal + eBay Fee Calculators and for all international eBay sites. Compare eBay and PayPal fees internationally to find the cheapest, reverse eBay fee calculators, listing pricing strategies, free BIC+IBAN bank transfers and UK bank transfers, plus much more.

Please use plain text.
no_more_mr-nice_guy
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

#12 - I offer discounts for people who pay by bank transfer and they still don't use it. I'm not just talking UK buyers. I've had a couple of Italian winners lately and quite a few Germans, French, Dutch etc.
I could understand it if I had dodgy or low feedback but I haven't! :-(
Please use plain text.
torsansalo
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

Cross border bank transfer within the Euro zone are free from extra charges.

To pay EUROS to a GBP account that benefit would not apply, and if the punters are not accustomed to fee paying it may well take more than a smaller discount to persuade them to suffer the bank charge.

The UK government could by now have adopted the EURO or alternatively subscribe the GBP to the same benefit of cost free transfers, as is the case with the Swedish Krona, but as yet the UK Government prefers not to, for reasons best known to itself and the crooks who donate to political parties.

To get around that get a EURO account.
Please use plain text.
d105
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

Has anyone had trouble with items not being delivered to Italy.

Yes

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?threadID=1000444726

Please use plain text.
moireelizabeth
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

Yes - and the way the claim was made I am sure it is part of a scam. Turin - or Torino - anyone else had problems with this city?
Please use plain text.
kernowlass
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

#16,

Thank you for your email but I prefer to keep correspondence on the boards. :-)

Although it is funny we are in the same town so maybe we know each other?

I do accept what you say but as you have no proof the buyers did get their items then they deserve a refund.

However I would check their feedback before accepting payment as you have no seller protection internationally with any other countries apart from the US and Canada.

So it is a judgement call on whether you send or not to buyers you are wary of.

I would rather get an NPS strike than send to a buyer who gives me concern re posting to them.

good luck.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Please use plain text.
pro-shineworld
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

Me too, I face the same problem. Does anyone can tell with provement that is theft problem or post services problem? I think there would be more fair to be answered by Italian buyer.:-D
Please use plain text.
trixee001
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

I have posted a similar answer some days ago, on the Community Q&A, to a concerned English seller. Italy has gathered this bad reputation, some deserved, some not. So here's some hints from an Italian buyer who has so far received all the parcels bought from the UK.
- Packs do arrive in Italy -it depends how you send them, what's in them, and where they come from.
Most of the chargebacks are for items who have to pass the customs (not UK of course) and the one in Milan (Roserio) wins the prize for being the most disorganized. For Italians like to shop for expensive items in China, then wonder why their countefeit item hasn't arrived...
- If a pack is sent by not traceable means, with Royal Airmail, agreement between UK and Italy (don't know why) state that it will be delivered by the regular postman (that usually deliver letters, with a motorbike)so it all goes well if there is someone in the house to receive the parcel. If not, it will be left outside the mailbox (usually in Italy we live in apartments, mailboxes are alltogether inside the main door of the building, but still, the first kid that lives inside the building will have something new to play with for free).
If you send it signed for it will be delivered by a parcel service, that will leave a card if no-one is home and bring back the pack to the Post Office, where it will wait to be delivered.
I have a PO Box that allows me to get small parcels too - all my purchases are from the UK and I got all parcels, tracked and untracked.
- If you send precious goods and write the content on the package, it will be stolen in any country (not just Italy). There is a similar thread on our ebay that is titled: *packs from England-do they arrive?* 'cause there are concerned buyers that are waiting for their packs to arrive, but if you send valuable goods insured or even just signed for, they will arrive.
- Copy and paste the addresses from the Paypal invoice to avoid spelling mistakes (instead of using handwriting), as our cities are big and crowdy, and a number could make a difference (we are about 60 million people living in a beautiful but small country). Packs that aren't delivered because of incomplete addresses, aren't guaranteed to go back to the sender, they might as well be destroyed
- Be very specific about the costs of the packaging, because our postal service is less expensive than the English, so your buyer could assume that a heavy object sent to Italy would cost just as much as what's shown for inland.
For any other questions or translations with your Italian buyers feel free to contact me.
Cheers, --Patrizia
Please use plain text.
no_more_mr-nice_guy
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

Nice one Patrizia.

There's just one thing I don't agree with in your post -

because our postal service is less expensive than the English

I know it's hard to compare postal prices internationally because everyone has different weight and size systems but according to the following site Poste Italiane is a lot more expensive than Royal Mail. These are last years prices:-

http://www.psc.gov.uk/postcomm/live/about-the-mail-market/international-market-reviews/european-comparisons--letter-prices/Graphs_for_all_countries_and_weights_Sept_06.pdf

I may take you up on your translation skills. I'm getting a few Italian buyers lately although I've found most of them speak English better than some English people!
Please use plain text.
trixee001
Community Member

POSTING TO ITALY

Those prices are I presume for letters inland (Italy to Italy and GB to GB), but did you check the fares from Italy to GB and compared to the same letter/parcel from GB to Italy?I can send a letter of up to 350 grams (airmail) for just 3.20 euro, while you have to spend 3.88 POUNDS!!! So you English get the best prices for your letters travelling within UK, but lose when sending abroad.
When I received my first packets from England, I was surprised to find out how much postage had been paid, especially for the heavier packages (OK, I had paid for it, but didn't believe it until I saw the postage label!!) . It seems that the more you send, the more you pay, while over here, it is more convenient to do one package instead of 2 or 3 separate ones, whenever possible.
When I went to London in 1982, your post offices had already red and green lights over the counters indicating the available one, and one single queue. Our post offices just started some years ago to have one single queue instead of 5/6 separate ones, and now we even have a ticket telling you the number and the counter that will serve you, to optimize the waiting time. We are catching up in very little time things that you take for granted.
By the way, I just got one of my latest purchases from England, so I'm off to leave fb now!!
Please use plain text.