replaced cat flap now cat refuses to use it

Hello,

My cat Thomas who is about 12 years old and has never had a problem with a cat flap, however at the weekend we replaced the old one with a nice new one,nothing fancy but it just looks a bit nicer, and now he is refusing to use it. Does anyone have any ideas why he won't use it ? 

I have tried encouraging him and bribing him but he will only go through if I hold the flap open. I let it down gently on his back as he goes through and it doesn't seem to bother him.

The only thing we can think of is that the new one has a clear perspex door although he seems quite happy to sit and peer through it.

Can anyone help ?

Fankoo

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Smiley Happyhow about putting cat food inside or outside and let cat decide

i got 3 cats with balcony door open so i,m cold ,when their outside with door shut foods inside i open door and in they come door then shut till they want to go out

new windows and doors fixed  2 days time so i may get a cat flap too

Petal
Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

maybe he see the that in the perspex and thinks there is a cat in there already..try sticking a piece of paper over it and see if it makes a difference...

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

missed the word reflection out ...

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

I would also try cookie's idea Woman Happy

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Thank you for your suggestions, have tried them and finally he has gone through the cat flap on his own. I think boredom made have played apart as well as ignoring the pleading eyes asking me to open the door !!

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Glad to read your cat has acepted his new 'door' . 

We have the same problem & my silly cat just will not go through the flapno matter what we try 😞