Slow cooker recommendations

mouse4702
Conversationalist

My 3.5 litre slowie is coming to the end of its life (bits are beginning to sag, if not melt) and I'm bewildered by the wide choice of new ones.  There's a "Crockpot" brand one advertised in a national discount store at "less than half price" but the reduced price is about £25; I'm thinking this has got to be a gimmick as surely it's never worth the £60 it would be new!!  For a halfway decent 3.5 litre pot I'd hope to pay between 10 and 20 quid - or am I being naive?  Is it worth paying more?

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

We've got a Russell Hobbs slow cooker and it's good.  I can't remember the size.  We bought ours around 3 years back from Wilkinsons and it cost around £20.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

I have a cookworks 6.5 ltr from argoose about £20 quid been going years and wouldn't swap it for lurve nor money

actaullly bought exactly the same thing for 3 of the kids lately and they all love it

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Mmm, they both sound about right.  I'm looking at both those shops.  I've got two 1.5 litre ones from Wilko and they are wonderful.  So you reckon I don't need to pay out big bucks?  I did wonder if there was some benefit in having a "good" one but from what you've said there's no gain really.  I think I'd just be paying for the name.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Agree totally mouse big names charge big bucks with no advantage at all

Really wouldn't recommend ccokworks if I didn't totally trust it would suit you , lots off different sizes available so please take a look

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Righty-ho then, either a Cookworks or a Russell Hobbs if the price is right.  Job's a good 'un.  Thanks ladies xxx

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

I have a mr T one cost 12 pounds and it heats up fast and has three settings. It is better than the Russell H one I had before that was slow to warm up and you had to part cook the likes of carrots and swede.
Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

If I recall correctly they are on special in Aldi this week at a very low price .

Got mine from Lakeland for around £30 and I love it ...very basic just a knob to turn...

Bought my son a digital one with a timer that browns the meat ...quite expensive ( around £80) but I prefer just a basic simple model . I love my slow cooker ...closely followed by my soup maker .....
Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

I have a Cooksworks from 1980, a Swan from 1992 and a Russel Hobbs from 2000 - all working well.

I would rather have my legs cut off than give up my slow cookers! 

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent