No car tax payable on any car over 25 years old - why then do some pay tax?

I visited an veteran car show today in the high street in Sittingbourne.  All the cars had tax discs most of them reading NIL, but a couple which were well over twenty-five years old bore the "standard" tax price of £140.00.  I know it's down to the c.c of your car - that's why I put the word standard in inverted commas.  

I was told any vehicle over 25 old was exempt from car tax, and could be classified a a collectors/veteran vehicle.  A '65 Bentley had a NIL tax disc, and yet a thirty-year-old Truimph Dolomite had a tax disc with £140.00 on his screen.  My car - a Volvo 460 has only four years to go before reaching the 25 year deadline which is why I'm eager to keep it on the road.  Am I missing out on something?  It can't be that it has to be towed to the site, because all these vehicles were driven.  Or are you limited as to how many miles per year you van drive it or does it have to have special insurance or what?  I'm confused.

Message 1 of 28
See Most Recent
27 REPLIES 27

Re: No car tax payable on any car over 25 years old - why then do some pay tax?

A few years ago the Government changed it from 25 years old to 40 years old, that's why.

Message 21 of 28
See Most Recent

Go on the gov.Co.Uk site they've changed it to 40 years old.
My triumph trophy is 25 this year costs £93 for 12 months actually costs less to insure than tax.
What a joke.
Message 22 of 28
See Most Recent

I have a 30 year Ford sierra and it cost me £285.00n to tax it.   It's been going up £5.00 a year for years now. I only due 2-3 thousand miles a year but i'm taxed on the emissions . I only use  it once a week if i'm lucky.  A modern car who use is used every day is churning out CO emissions all day every day are free from vehicle tax or only have to pay £30 a year.  Over the year they are polluting for more than my once or twice a week  journey, so why am i being penalised . Go figure!!1

Message 23 of 28
See Most Recent

i have a 1992 jaguar 4 litre sovereign that`s 30 years old this year, but even if i still had to tax it, i would`nt be bothered, because my insurance is less than £100 a year, so swings and roundabouts 🙂

Message 24 of 28
See Most Recent

I have amercedes230e124 1992 and I still have to pay tax every year over £250 or more.my car is 30 years old.

Any comments please help thank you 

Message 25 of 28
See Most Recent

The tax cut off is 40 years old, not the 25 stated in the thread title, hence why you are still paying tax on a 30 year old car.

Message 26 of 28
See Most Recent

I've got a 1999 pickup just curious of if my pickup was tax exempt jamedross21@gmail.com contact details to tell me if it was possible 🤔 

Message 27 of 28
See Most Recent

At the moment it is 30 years old vehicles are tak and mot exempt.
However I understand there is movement towards bringing it down to 25.

Richard
Message 28 of 28
See Most Recent