Bird identification please

now, my friend says she's just spotted a bird in her garden she's never seen before. She says it's like a red footed falcon, but it had an orrange red bib.

Anyone know what type it is please? she said it had a beak like a bird of prey, so the falcon was the first thing she thought of...but the red throated bit is a puzzler.

anyone know what it is please?

Photobucket

Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

Hiya Petalwaving smiley.gif

we did that thanks and she said that's the bird but it had a red/orange throat piece a bit like a robin but not so far down the breast!!

Photobucket

Message 3 of 14
See Most Recent

i have often used this  

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdidentifier/

sometimes the  bird is a juvenile  but thats more likely in the summer/autumn  months

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

We get a variety of birds where I live.  We've had a grouse, a sparrowhawk a couple of times and two red legged partridges.  We've even had a couple of ducks waddling up the drive.

Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent

Ohhhhhhh sounds interesting,,,even though im in town we get lots of varieties of birds. I even saw a Woodpecker one morning pecking away at wood of a tree stump on the ground. I had to look twice as you dont see many of them.

Woman Happy

Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

well it's stumped me, I can't find a reference to a grey bird as big as a dove with a red throat, anywhere.

I'll have another look later in European birds I think.

(wonder if she's been on the sherry!)

Photobucket

Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

Have you looked at all the images on the red necked falcon.  Some of those have more red on their throats than others.

red necked falcon.jpg

Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

Could it possibly just be a sparrowhawk - they can have orangey red chests

Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

It sounds like a male sparrow hawk to me as they have grey backs and reddish brown chests, but I'm no expert.

Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

Could it be a red kite?
Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

It has a Sparrowhawk like head i think!!!.

Woman Happy

Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

oh, I'll look that one up CG thanks.

it's not a sparrowhawk, that I do know, and not a red kite. The only bit of red was around it's throat, the rest of the bird was all grey.

Photobucket

Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent