Ane advice on claiming against a store for accident

Hi has anyone on here claimed against a store for sustaining an injury.  last week as leaving a store all of the metal,rubber matting was loose and moving up and down out of the recess in which it should have been secured.  result is i have broken my wrist. store havent even had courtesy to phone to see how i am.  thery have now secured the matting down with bolts etc to prevent any further injuries to customers.

pls excuse typos using wrong hand to type

i would not normally think of pursuing a claim but their attitude and my pain are making me feel different this time.

did not photograph loose mats as was in too much pain and now mats have been secued by shiny new bolts.

Store have point blank refused to let me have a copy of accident form.  they completed it with no input from me so presumably they may not have put all relevant info on it.

so my question is does anyone on here have any advice about whether to claim and if so any help would be welcome

Message 1 of 47
See Most Recent
46 REPLIES 46

Might be worth you talking to the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Message 2 of 47
See Most Recent

thanks will ring them x

Message 3 of 47
See Most Recent

Might there be CCTV available? Stores often have cameras on the doors.  

Message 4 of 47
See Most Recent

Flippin heck fluffy...you don't do things by half Woman Embarassed

** put more water in it **

I hope you have some come-back with that store though Woman Mad

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 5 of 47
See Most Recent

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/law_w/law_legal_system_e/law_personal_injury_e/personal_injuries...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 6 of 47
See Most Recent

Awww  Fluffy - poor you.  I hope that you're not in too much pain.  Good luck with claiming against the store.  Must admit that I don't like their attitude.

Message 7 of 47
See Most Recent

Thanks for your good wishes, helpful info and the link ^^^^

I wouldnt normally even think about claiming but their attitude is appalling.  Also now I can't drive it is making it more difficult to get through to help my dad look after my mam.  Fortunately i have some lovely friends who have offered to drive as well as my OH but the store dont seem to care at all.  also because it is hurting so much it is making me want to do something as a matter of principal and just to make me mentally feel better, if that makes sense xx

Message 8 of 47
See Most Recent

People who seek damages are often accused of being money grabbers when in fact the reason in a great many cases is that the injured party feels their justifiable complaints have been ignored by the other party with no acceptance of any fault and no apology.

Suing is often the only way of getting the other party to accept some liability.

Sorry to hear about your accident Fluffy. 

Accidents in stores are time-sensitive ..... you are usually too shocked to take photos, gather the names of witnesses etc.  However, the owner or occupier of a shop owes a basic duty of care under the Occupiers’ Liability Act 1957 to ensure that visitors to their premises are safe.  Clearly, the mats which moved rendered that area of floor dangerous to any customer.

For a claim to succeed it is necessary to establish that the shop owner or occupier has been negligent or has breached the duty of care owed to visitors, and that this has in turn given rise to a foreseeable risk of injury.  From what you are describing, that hazard did not materialise in the minutes before you fell, it was a hazard that was foreseeable and therefore, your accident was avoidable if the store had taken appropriate and prompt action when the carpet started to become loose from its retaining fixture.

1. Did you get the name of the member of staff who attended to you when you fell?  (That person will be a primary witness and can be supenored if you go to court.)  If you didn't get the name, could you pick out that member of staff again ?

2. Who organised your visit to the hospital?  Have you got a copy of the hospital injury report or do you know who to contact should you need it for a claim?

3. You say that the store won't give you a copy of the report that was written by a member of staff - well, all is not lost, you simply record your own version of events for the store's HSE.  However, seek confirmation that your accident was recorded in the accident book at the time of your injury and try to insist on receiving a copy of the accident book entry.  Also ask for the names and addresses of any eye witnesses.

4. Can you find any other shoppers who frequented that store who can confirm that the mat was loose for some time?

5. You need to send a Letter of Claim advising the store that you are making a claim for UK store accidents compensation and explaining the reason why. The store has twenty-one days to respond to the letter and a further three months in which to inform you (or your solicitor) whether they accept liability for your injuries or not.

6. If they do acknowledge their responsibility for your injuries, then you WILL need to calculate how much compensation for accident you are entitled to and enter into negotiations with the store´s insurers.  This will include (a) Pain and Suffering (b) Loss of Wages (c) Expenses to receive on-going treatment (d) Medical bills outside of the NHS e.g. physiotherapy

7.  If they deny responsibility then you need a solicitor, and this may be a good use of one of those firms that advertise on the TV (Injury Lawyers 4 You etc)   Claiming is not always straightforward as the owner or occupier is only required to take “reasonable” steps to keep the premises safe. If you believe that the loose mat should have been noted on a regular check of the store's high-risk areas, then the store has failed to keep the premises free from obstacles which can cause harm, and you should be able to demonstrate this.

If you need more help fluffy, pop into the other place because I can give you links etc in there.

Good luck - and take care.

Message 10 of 47
See Most Recent

if its affecting your avility to do your daily chores  then yes they need a jolt

they were very lucky for it not to have been much worse

id find out the address of head office and write asking why the accident book entry is unavailable to  you

id check whether there had been other accidents  before yours

not sure who would have been advised by that,  local council,  health n safety exec

did you need  uplifting to  hospital?

make sure everything that happened is  written down, and if you can find witnesses get their details

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 11 of 47
See Most Recent

Hi Merly thanks for the info - really helpful.  Listening to the other shoppers it would appear the mats had been loose quite a while but it is a shop i dont normally go in so i cant go from first hand experience.  i was doing some shopping for my mam.  i never got any names of witnesses but i do remember pointing out all the loose matting to the assistant store manager whilst waiting for the ambulance.  the store said to my husband to take me to the hospital but my husband said they needed to call an ambulance as he felt that the ambulance crew would be able to offer pain relief on the way to hospital - which they did.

My husband has spoken to the store again and they have said that accident report form states that the matting was loose but they will not let us see or read the report.

i do not have a copy of the hospital report but the orthopaedic registrar asked where it had happened and he wrote the name of the store down, so if needed it should be in their records.

i will see what happens when i see the ortho consultant on tuesday as i shd know then if an op is necessary.  thanks again for all the info - really appreciate it x

Message 12 of 47
See Most Recent

tks Towery - not sure how to find witnesses but i think that this must show up on cctv.  My OH has taken photos which show bright shiny bolts now fastening the mats down and remnants of the tape they put on after my accident whilst waiting to fasten the mats down.  I think if they had actually just phoned to check how I was I would not feel so annoyed.

not beimg able to drive to my parents to help them is a big concern - my mam is very poorly.  also feel totally useless even going to the bathroom is a challenge - will be better i know once wrist is sorted out at hospital on tuesday.

thanks again everyonr

Message 13 of 47
See Most Recent

bankhaunter - you have hit the nail on the head x

Message 14 of 47
See Most Recent

aaww fluffy, I hope you feel better soon.

You go ahead and claim, they should have been more attentive and their attitude is disgraceful. good luck with it and don't give in.

Photobucket

Message 15 of 47
See Most Recent

Fluffy, if you have extra costs, e.g. taxi fairs to visit your Mam, cleaners to undertake your/your Mam's household chores, taxi fares for shopping then keep receipts to substantiate your claims. 

What I mean is, any compensation you seek should include additional expenses you necessarily incurr as a result of this accident.  So 'expenses' are not just the expenses to attend hospital (do keep a record of dates of visit and mileage, time duration etc) but the additional costs to undertake activities and necessary domestic chores that you are not able to carry out unaided because of your wrist.

Message 16 of 47
See Most Recent

Fluffy please feel better soon and dont let them get away with that ATTITUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. ABOMINABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Woman Sad

Message 17 of 47
See Most Recent

Fluffy, don't mess about, go see a solicitor where you can get 30 minutes free legal advice. If you prefer to see a female one most practices will have one. There's what appears to be a 'female' practice in Gy top town, near the Co-op bank, name begins with Ad if I remember right.

Best wishes, heal soon 

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't care who you are, stop walking on the water while I'm fishing. --------------------------------------------------
Message 18 of 47
See Most Recent

@merly*28 wrote:

Fluffy, if you have extra costs, e.g. taxi fairs to visit your Mam, cleaners to undertake your/your Mam's household chores, taxi fares for shopping then keep receipts to substantiate your claims. 

What I mean is, any compensation you seek should include additional expenses you necessarily incurr as a result of this accident.  So 'expenses' are not just the expenses to attend hospital (do keep a record of dates of visit and mileage, time duration etc) but the additional costs to undertake activities and necessary domestic chores that you are not able to carry out unaided because of your wrist.

Yes, absolutely keep receipts.

And don't forget, you aren't going to be able to use that hand for some time after the plaster comes off. 

Finger tendons contract while they are immobile, and you will have to do lots of gentle stretching to get them working again - especially the thumb.  (When I broke my wrist the hospital physiotherapists concentrated on wrist mobility and didn't seem at all bothered that I couldn't pick things up for months - I had to work out the finger exercises myself.)

Message 19 of 47
See Most Recent

Hope that you're feeling better today Fluffy.

Message 20 of 47
See Most Recent