advice on free anti virus please.

Hello
Could someone recommend a free download for anti virus for my pc.
I have restored my pc back to factory settings because of far too many issues.
I now need an antivirus that wont interfere with windows defender.
Can anyone suggest a good security strategy to keep me safe while on line and that is cost free please. TIA
Message 1 of 15
See Most Recent
14 REPLIES 14

Forgot to mention I am still using Vista home. 32
Message 2 of 15
See Most Recent

From what I've been reading lately, AVAST is a good one to use - both for effectiveness and for not using too many resources.  That link takes you to a page especially for downloading for Vista.

I don't use it myself, I only use Windows Defender (which has Microsoft Security Essentials built into it in Windows 10)  - but I also have SuperAntiSpyware Pro and Malwarebytes Pro running.

Message 3 of 15
See Most Recent

Thank you,

I have found. Avast disables windows defender so I would like to find an alternative.

I know about malwarebytes do you find that is ok if it runs without disabling defender. I like defender because it seems easy to and I can acces start up programes easily with it.
Message 4 of 15
See Most Recent

Thank you,

I have found. Avast disables windows defender so I would like to find an alternative.

I know about malwarebytes do you find that is ok if it runs without disabling defender. I like defender because it seems easy to use and I can acces start up programes easily with it.
Message 5 of 15
See Most Recent

Its not a case of Avast disabling Defender. Its defender disabling itself as its not required or so it doesn't cause issues.

It also happens with AVG, and paid for antivirus packages. My son uses adaware's antivirus program as he was very happy with their malware offering years ago. But to the best of my knowleage you will still get defender switching off. 2 resident antivirus may actually work against each other?

I've just recently got rid of AVG, (so not recommending that) as since their latest pop up campaign I'd noticed my Vista home premium slowing down. I downloaded a fresh copy of ms security essentials (defender) to update the orginal program  and it all seems to be running back up to speed (well as fast as vista will run lol!)

I have spybot resident and blocking, for antimalware which seems to play nicely with any AV I've used. Then I have malwarebytes installed but not resident (not scanning in the background) and just run a scan weekly or if I feel concerned about anything. Malwarebytes does have a slightly broader coverage than some anti malware, and is a go to for many of the computer advice boards as it will pick up on stuff other programs miss. So a regular stand alone scan with that should reassure you.

Message 6 of 15
See Most Recent

Another vote for Avast.

"Defender" is an antivirus in Windows 8 and later. It's something different in Vista - more an antispyware program.

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is Microsoft's own antivirus. It was (essentially) renamed to Defender in Windows 8. Confusing, or what?

Nice and easy to use, and it should "play nicely" with your version of Defender, but it really doesn't score very well on antivirus testing sites. It might not be supported on Vista for much longer (more later.)

There are other programs available which simplify the control of start-up programs.

I've always liked the free version of Malwarebytes. (I THINK you can still get the free version.) It can be used to scan for and remove nasties which your antivirus misses.

It is NOT an antivirus replacement, though. It merely searches for stuff that most antiviruses miss, but could well miss "classic" viruses and things. You still need an antivirus eg Avast or MSE.

The paid for version of Malwarebytes runs full time, which is useful protection BUT makes your computer work harder. Great if you have a powerful machine.

You've a more pressing concern on that computer. Support for Vista ends soon (April, I think - might be mistaken there). That means no more security updates.

Chances are that no antivirus will be able to protect Vista users adequately after that, alas.

If you're stuck with using Windows, this is a great opportunity to treat yourself to a new computer with a more up to date operating system (but do take some time to research the pros and cons of Windows 10 before deciding that it's for you.)

My computers are all ancient. I've largely switched to Linux Mint - runs happily on older kit, and (touch wood) hugely more secure than any version of Windows, notwithstanding any antiviruses etc installed.

There are literally hundreds of systems (distributions or "distros") based on the Linux operating system. Mint has a reputation for being very user-friendly and easy to learn, but there are plenty of alternatives. Post back if you would like more information.

Linux does not (oversimplification alert!) run a lot of Windows-specific software, but offers alternatives which I've lived with very happily for ages.

Message 7 of 15
See Most Recent

The other issue with ms security essentials is that it probably wont have any updated definitions after the ms extended support comes to an end for those using Vista. So you would probably have to find something else shortly.

I have today got an exclamation mark on my essentials icon on the vistal laptop. Its saying potentially unprotected and gives a link to the end of extended support. Obviously got another 3 years on the windows 7 computer.

The other thing I've noticed with several different content providers (etc) is they are providing legacy support for XP, nothing for vista, and some for windows 7 and upwards. Firefox nags you to update flash but no vista download, I tried the xp version and it gets reported as malicious, and if you try the 7 version it just comes up with an error and hangs. Chrome has done much the same thing, withdrawing support 18months before ms cut of date, yet offerings xp support for some elements. I assume this is because there are still significant numbers of XP users out there, presumably outnumbering vista users.

Any idea on where Avast stands with providing support for earlier OS ??

Message 8 of 15
See Most Recent

I've just checked and Defender has switched itself off with Ms security essentials running on the vista laptop.  You can turn it on and update it ( at the moment) but it goes off again when you shut down and restart.

I'm guessing it will be the same on the windows 7 one ?

Message 9 of 15
See Most Recent

Good morning

Some valuable imformation, thank you.  I think it has confirmed my fears though that my vista PC time is on its last legs.

Can anyone tell me their likes and dislikes of windows 10, perhaps a bit of information on differences between vista and 10.

Thank you

Message 10 of 15
See Most Recent

Any idea on where Avast stands with providing support for earlier OS ??

As far as I can make out, they still support XP - given the commonality between Vista/W7 etc code, I hope that means Avast will continue working on Vista for the time being:

https://www.avast.com/windows-xp-antivirus

Even if its marketing activities are irritating, one has to give Avast credit for supporting (for free) obsolete systems - I seem to remember them supporting W98 way past any of the other free providers.

It also looks as if Avira still works on older systems, although I don't know how "official" this is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avira

*misspeaches* might also like to look at something like Qihoo 360 - more from the respected Gizmo's site:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-software.htm

The major problem remains the operating system itself. It will probably become very vulnerable very quickly, as mentioned previously.

Don't throw the computer away, though. Seriously - Linux is easy and works brilliantly. It's also very secure (touch wood.)

The fact that most versions are available free of charge is no bad thing, either.

Message 11 of 15
See Most Recent

Thank you for the links other.

I am intrigued by this Linux you talk of, I have to admit I know nothing of it but if it means I don't need to dispose of perfectly good equipment it must be worth looking at.

Thank you. 

I have downloaded malwarebytes too now, but I am going to have to do more manual checking more frequently.

Vista is soon to be no more 😥

Message 12 of 15
See Most Recent

@*misspeaches* wrote:

Good morning

Some valuable imformation, thank you.  I think it has confirmed my fears though that my vista PC time is on its last legs.

Can anyone tell me their likes and dislikes of windows 10, perhaps a bit of information on differences between vista and 10.

Thank you

I'm very happy with Windows 10. Under the bonnet it is very different to Vista but in use (unlike win8/8.1) it is adequately similar for the user.

I had a win 8 laptop but my main tower was xp for years, I only changed it to Vista when XP support stopped. I still use that for some old software and hardware.

I got a used win 7 box for the free upgrade to Win 10 (no longer available), having tested the prelelease on an old netbook. Also upgraded the W8/8.1 laptrop to Win 10.

Unfortunately you cannot upgrade from Vista directly to Win 10 and a new the win 10 laptop or desktop is worth going for.

Many old progs and hardware work fine on Win 10 but not all. Do some research as to anything you have and may need to use.

Stuff gets out of date and, with care, a lot of free aps/prog do many jobs. You could find you need a new printer or scanner if unlucky.

I find running Win 10 fast and problem free myself.

Message 13 of 15
See Most Recent

@*misspeaches* wrote:

Thank you for the links other.

I am intrigued by this Linux you talk of, I have to admit I know nothing of it but if it means I don't need to dispose of perfectly good equipment it must be worth looking at.

Thank you. 

I have downloaded malwarebytes too now, but I am going to have to do more manual checking more frequently.

Vista is soon to be no more 😥

Certainly don't chuck out the old vista laptop. Trialling Linux on it would be good and I'm sure otherego woul be invaluable. You may learn to love it and not need anything more. It would certainly be another bow to a modest cost new Win 10

Message 14 of 15
See Most Recent

About a year ago, I had a go at an introduction to Linux and the installation thereof, using Linux Mint as an example. It ended up a little on the lengthy side.

Needless to say, people took one horrified look and ran away, screaming.

Being idle, may I refer you to that unloved and long-abandoned thread? For the moment, you'd probably just want to glance through the first couple of posts. Most of the thread involves nuts-and-bolts installation stuff, along with a bit of a discussion on partitioning. (This also affects Windows. Just as with Windows, most people can largely ignore it in Linux if it is of no use to them.)

The first few posts were an attempt to introduce Linux Mint and its friends:

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Computing-Advice-Technology-Chat/Want-to-try-Linux-Mint-A-bit-of-a-gu...

antipasta is the current board guru where W10 is concerned. I'm sure he'll be able to help out with any further questions in that direction - especially dealing with the potential privacy problems while retaining a useful system.

Message 15 of 15
See Most Recent