Windows 7 updates error

Has anyone else experienced problems with Windows 7 updates failing?

I've had a number these past few months and sometimes they eventually do install but other times they just seem to disappear completely - never available again when I go to try another time.

These are all important / critical type updates.

the one that's just refusing to install now is the 2017-09 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4038777)

Download size: 198.5 MB

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

"WindowsUpdate_80073701" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

Have tried uploading it manually via the MS website, trawled through Google for help and found so much utter baloney (not to mention unsafe sites), tried other fixes which I don't really understand and still nada - no joy!

anyone got any clues?

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Windows 7 updates error

Mine updated that one OK but it took ages.

Daft question first, have you checked to see if it has actally installed?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Windows 7 updates error

No, it's not installed - just loads of "failed" in the status list.

Something is not right because it didn't take that long to allegedly download - less time than another 65mb update.  I've gone through as much as I am able to from the MS website advice and others that seem trustworthy, but still no joy.

Tried all kinds of checks and workarounds but my guess is that this thing just ain't loading properly in the first place.

I have more than enough room on the old pc too - so it's not that either.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Windows 7 updates error

Just checked mine again, it shows "successful" against that one.

Have you tried Windows troubleshooter?

Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Windows 7 updates error

Yes - as said, I've gone through all of MS help and advice available and none of it helps.  In fact the troubleshooter was totally useless.

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

Windows 7 updates error

Did you download Windows Update troubleshooter?

Live long and prosper.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Windows 7 updates error

Any joy fixing this yet, aern?

I've largely lost patience with Windows update problems (two Vista machines literally cooking themselves and being written off physically by the effort didn't help, mind you - so much for just leave it to keep trying!)

One of my major concerns is the fact that Microsoft seems to have tried to sneak extra "telemetry" into Windows 7 and 8 through the update system. That means that a "successful" update could leave me running software that keeps telephoning home to Microsoft - and I so do not want that.

Windows 7 comes to the end of support in a couple of years, anyway. I suppose one could buy something with Windows 8.1 to get another three years of Windows (with the caveat that snoopware seems to find its way onto that, if my reading is correct).

For those disinclined to live with Windows 10's data-slurping and the lack of control it offers over updates, I would have thought that something like Linux would be looking more and more attractive.

This doesn't seem to be happening, and I'd (sadly) bet that Microsoft's gamble that folk will just sigh and live with W 10's nastiness (the afore-mentioned snooping and lack of control over the update process) will ultimately pay off.

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

Windows 7 updates error

Hi OE - no joy at all.  I've been working through all the HP help on improving pc performance which did seem to work a tad, but not with the updates.

I've been able to install other updates - it's this one and now another optional update with the same error reporting.

I've tracked down another help page, which goes to another help page etc etc etc.

It's rather daunting stuff for me though because I'm not 100% sure of what I'm doing, but when I'm feeling a bit more able, I'm going to give it a try.

Maybe see what  you think if you have a spare mo?

from this link

windows-7-wont-update-what-to-do/

I went to the reddit page

windows_7_slowstuck_checking_for_updates_fix_as/

What is rather worrying is that I seem to have simply never had some updates at all. 

I know that I'm finding it much harder to grasp things nowdays and most people never knew in the first place, so it almost makes having to go to Windows 10 inevitable.

This poor old machine may be needing either a new graphics card or a new monitor but if it can hold out another year or so, I may well consider the internet can go somewhere else and I'll retire to a luxury yurt in the wilds.  Or something like it.

camping trailer.gif

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

Windows 7 updates error

You've still not said if you tried downloading the Windows update troubleshooter. The windows troubleshooter (from within Windows) isn't the same thing.

Live long and prosper.

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Windows 7 updates error

Just to repeat from my earlier post which I think you've not actually digested:

"Yes - as said, I've gone through all of MS help and advice available and none of it helps.  In fact the troubleshooter was totally useless"

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Windows 7 updates error

Hi again, aern.

I honestly wish I knew the answer! Your first link looks pretty good to me, even though it's going to take hours and hours to try everything there. All that restarting would be enough to put me right off.

It does, however, seem to be along the lines of various other odds and ends I've consulted during my quest for W7 updates from time to time.

Common themes seem to include:

1. Each computer which is battling with Windows Updates seems to lack some Magic Update - a KB something-or-other. The exact Magic Update varies from month to month and from computer to computer.

2. The tool CD suggests used to work wonders. The last few times I've tried it, it's been hopeless, and I get the impression that quite a few others have found the same thing. Having said that, just every now and then it has performed admirably - probably worth downloading and running the latest version from time to time, I suppose.

3. A lot of users seem to feel that Microsoft isn't really bothering that much with correcting Windows Update problems for W7. Perhaps they're hoping to drive users to super-slurper W10...

4. It's worth persevering, though, because you usually get there in the end. By that stage, you're so frazzled that you'll have no clear recollection next time just what fixed things. This doesn't really matter, as the fix will probably have stopped working by the time the next problem arises.

5. If W7 is really becoming just too much of a pain, it might just be worth deciding whether you can live with W10 (the privacy things puts me right off, as does the fact that the non-optional update process would make it very easy for them to change essential functionality at their whim.)

If I find anything more useful, I'll certainly post back. In the meantime, why not consider possible options? I believe Apple stuff is very pleasant to use, but would hate to get trapped in their "walled garden" - your call, but one to consider, especially if you prefer the Reassuringly Expensive approach.

I continue to be incredibly grateful to the magnificent folk who keep the various Linux distros and all the GNU software going. Windows is much more bearable if it's just a hobby and not a necessity.

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent