Help with 'Gimp' photo editor.

Hi,

6 weeks ago I purchased a new Lenovo PC with Windows 10 installed. Not impressed with the Windows Photos app (especially for Photo editing) I downloaded 'Gimp' photo editor, which was good but I uninstalled it a week later as I had mellowed towards the Windows Photos App & also because I believed it would serve my purpose (Wrong!).

I now find that I do need 'Gimp' but when I reinstall it it doesn't open Woman Frustrated -  Any ideas?

I am of the Older pre 'I.T.' generation & unlike a lot of my contemporaries I am not very 'I.T.' literate, so any advice given please, please make it simple.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

A couple of thoughts.

Perhaps bits of the old installation are still hanging around and causing problems. A long-winded way of approaching this might be to use your Windows "Explorer" (if W10 still has that) to hunt down and destroy anything with "GIMP" - trouble is, I'm not sure just what other files might be involved.

Did you reinstall it from an Administrator account? If not, then why not try again? This time, either install it from within an Administrator account, or if you're doing it from within a normal (and safer) account, then it should prompt you to enter your administrator credentials. Perhaps you forgot to do this last time? (Vanishingly improbable, I agree.)

If none of that is helpful - you might be stuck with a corrupted installation. A couple of possibilities occur - hopefully, Windows bods will come up with others.

I assume you uninstalled it via the Windows uninstallation thingie - used to lurk under Control Panel, or whatever W10 calls it.

1. Download it again (in case the installation file you used the second time is corrupt - which can happen.) Reinstall it yet again. (Make sure you do so as an Administrator.) If it still doesn't open:

2. Try an "uninstaller" like Revo uninstaller to terminate whatever you've installed with absolute prejudice. Using a freshly downloaded installation file, install again. Some other popular "clean-up" applications include such uninstallers (not sure, but I think CCleaner is one of them.)

(Sigh. Yet another example of things being hard in Windows-land. This sort of thing "just works" in popular versions of Linux. Mostly...)

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I'll explore all that you say & let you know how I get on.

Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Installed & uninstalled about 10 times with no joy - Anyhow it doesn't matter now because I've found out that there is a way to add 'Text' to my pics using W10 'Photos' & that was all that I thought I needed 'Gimp' for.

Thanks for your advice Woman Happy.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent